sunnymummy

warwicks: new admission policy?

Post by sunnymummy »

Oh my goodness!!!!
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

A very interesting document; pragmatic & thought provoking.

Bit embarrassing for the Rugby grammars to have their poorly thought out and slightly arrogant rubuttals published for all to see :oops:

Thank you for bringing it to our attention Jacquie & Sunnymummy.
sunnymummy

Post by sunnymummy »

Dear Ed's mum. Just thought I'd expand on my previous reply. The point about a threshold passmark, which I'm sure you've already worked out, is that there is an inbuilt distance bias. This is why Northants. favour it. Basically, if you live on ground zero of the distance measurement, your child only has to score bang on the pass mark to get a place. The further out you live, the likelier it is that there won't be any places left to be allocated.
sunnymummy

Post by sunnymummy »

Hi Charlotte. I think I must go and do some work because I'm becoming obsessional!!! I really wonder about Rugby's position. I remember coming across some document a couple of years ago where they were having a council meeting with representatives from Northampton. Both parties wanted to do something about the number of applications from Northamptonshire. Nothants. were concerned about the effect of the migration on their comprehensive school system, Rugby were concerned because the school system they were paying for was being used by children (and their tax paying parents) from another borough and thus not just their own taxpayers. Both wanted to change the system but both felt handicapped by the Lewisham ruling (which the Judge refers to).
Call me a conspiracy theory nutter but isn't this just very convenient?
How it's going to play with the voters in the outer hebrides of the Rugby district I don't know, though.
Presumably those parents are going to be paying for schools their children can no longer get into but be bussed in to schools right next door. Weird.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Sunnymummy, I have to confess to a slight bias. I think that I wholeheartedly agree with Mr Parker BUT have I been influenced by the facts that 1) we live less than 1 mile from either school and 2) I have an idlebones year 5 son?? (I am secretly hoping that Leicestershire & Coventry will follow suit).

Whilst I'm not at all sure that I am in favour of selective (and divisive) education, I can only do what I feel is best for my own children under present arrangements. I live in a town with grammar schools...

House prices in the north west of Northamptonshire could be affected by more that the Credit Crunch. Perhaps we should take the opportunity to move there & experience the utopia of a truely comprehensive education system.
sunnymummy

Post by sunnymummy »

Dear Charlotte67 - I completely understand where you're coming from. As I have, wryly, noted; my perspective is completely determined by the position of niece in the Rugby hinterlands.
Oh, the joy of school admissions criteria!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Charlotte wrote:
(I am secretly hoping that Leicestershire & Coventry will follow suit).
With perhaps a teeny tiny exception for a friend???
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Ed's mum wrote: With perhaps a teeny tiny exception for a friend???
But I thought you were going to move nearer to me. :cry: .
Rose petal

Post by Rose petal »

Any idea if this is going to also affect the admission criteria for Alcester and Stratford Grammars and those prospective pupils who are currently in the catchment but live in Worcestershire?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now