langley consortium exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SHAH1969

langley consortium exam

Post by SHAH1969 »

hi all parents whose children sat the langley/hershal grammar 11+ blast week. how did yur children find the exams- did they complete nvr in time? my dd very cnfused-coudn't finish all nvr paper. please advise
shah1969
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Hi Shah1969,

Welcome to the forum :D

A few people were talking about this very subject on the following thread.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=8021

The concensus appears to be that the NVR was VERY tough, possibly as they have done away with the Maths test this year. In contrast most children, appear to have found the VR not so tough.

This would indicate that the NVR will probably see lower results, but the good news is it will be the same for all. So it will come down to who did the least worst. Don't forget that both papers will be averaged so a good VR score will help the outcome.
Really will be a case of won't know until the results are out. That's the 4th Dec for Herschel. Not sure about Langley's results day. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Good luck

BW
chad

Post by chad »

Hi Shah1969,

Welcome to the forum.
As Bewildered said... the NVR seems to have been particularly tough this year in the Consortium exam with quite a few saying that they were pushed for time or didn't finish so your daughter is not the only one.
Good luck for early Dec. :)
Kusum

Post by Kusum »

Hi Shah1969,

My son appeared for the Langley 11+ and found NVR very tough as well. At home he is able to finish his paper well in time but he was not able to do so then whilst finding the whole thing hard. We just have to wait and see.
worriedmummy

langley exam experience

Post by worriedmummy »

Hi fellow Grammar School Parents,

I'm so glad to have stumbled upon this forum..I have been so restless since my child sat the exam last week. :roll:

I was rather amazed at the chaos, not to mention the rude and unfriendly attitude of some of the Langley staff. This was in stark contrast to our 'Bucks experience'.

As some of you mentioned, my child also found the NVR tougher than anticipated..she too did not have time to complete the paper. I dont know about you guys but I must have interrogated my daughter on and off for the best part of the day..my husband finally ordered me to leave her alone!!I still cant help asking the odd question about the test. Langley is our first choice and I'm getting increasingly worried. Let's hope for the best, so much competition..so few places.

Worriedmum :(
Redfish

Langley exam

Post by Redfish »

Hello to all parents,

My DS sat the langley exam a week or so ago, and found the NVR hard, but managed to attempt all questions, VR was as ok, but not all 21 types of questions were there. E.G (his favourite not there).

This is our first choice so, fingers and toes crossed!

My thoughts similar to others on this thread, was the NVR harder as maths was dropped?

It's all over now and time to relax and enjoy the festive season coming!

best wishes to all
Redfish

Edited: Will pm you...BW
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Redfish, I believe that most VR papers can only have a certain number of types, possibly 13?? in any one paper. (Patricia is the one who will know the exact amount). This is the same in any of the practice NFER papers that can be bought from Smiths.

So although, children have been practicing for all 21 types, not all will appear.

worriedmummy wrote:I was rather amazed at the chaos, not to mention the rude and unfriendly attitude of some of the Langley staff. This was in stark contrast to our 'Bucks experience'.
We had exactly the same experience last year. Sad to see they haven't got their act together on the basics.
jazzy

timing

Post by jazzy »

Hi Shah69

A lot of children didn't finish all question including my daughter. How many did your's leave out? It was a tough NVR!
ElevenplusParent

Langley and Herschel

Post by ElevenplusParent »

Hi all,

I think I should rename myself as WorriedDad!

My child put Langley and Herschel in the CAF form.

Someone scared me that if we put Langley above Herschel, then Herschel won't offer you a place.

I do not belive in this but this sounds very scary.
The fact that people are talking about separate results for Langley and Herschel results compounds to my fears.

Can someone pelase clarify?

Thanks in advance,
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Dear Worried Dad :D
My child put Langley and Herschel in the CAF form.

Someone scared me that if we put Langley above Herschel, then Herschel won't offer you a place.

I do not belive in this but this sounds very scary.
The fact that people are talking about separate results for Langley and Herschel results compounds to my fears.
I'm afraid what you were told was correct. :(

The only way schools can find out which other school's a candidate has applied for is if they are a part of a consortium. Which both Langley and Herschel are - the Slough Consortium (SC). They are a group of 3 schools which form an independant consortium and therefore can share information - due to the fact that they insist that the school you put down first will be the school you you sit the exam - therefore they know which school you put down first.

The SC cannot, however, find out if you put down, say Tiffin, as we have - as they have no access to this information.

Hope this helps somewhat - sorry for your predicament.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now