Info re pass rate required urgently!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kittyhola

Info re pass rate required urgently!

Post by kittyhola »

DD has just returned from tonight's tutoring having completed a paper with 80 questions and getting 66 correct which tutor worked out at 83%. He said that was a pass but I thought 85% was minimum pass rate. Even when I queried it he said that anything over 80% is a pass. I am confused and worried. Can anyone tell me what they think the pass rate is. The paper she did was from 2 years ago and had some very tricky 'sensible sentence' questions on.
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

You know it's a tricky question to answer. You have got to be pretty close to it at 83%. Of course points are also awarded for younger pupils using standardised scoring.
My daughter took the 11+ last year and 85% seemed to be the advised aim but you still have a few weeks to go and as long as you keep doing the practice and maintain this sort of level I reckon your DD will be just fine.

Best of luck! I know this is an all-consuming stressful time. I'm still looking on this site 12 months down the line-just about uncurled my fingers!

Which school are you hoping for?
guest42

Post by guest42 »

Yes the reason it's tricky is because it is not an exact pass rate. It is set at the mark above which the top 25% (I think) who have ever taken that particular paper have achieved. So not all papers will have exactly the same "pass mark".

(As well as the birthday +or- points)

I would like to think your tutor is correct but you don't want to be too close to the line!
kittyhola

Post by kittyhola »

It's all very confusing but thanks for reply. Not sure what more we can do to add on a couple of percentage points. :(
guest42

Post by guest42 »

If there are a few question types that are causing problems maybe concentrate on them?