Slough exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
greatmum

Slough exam

Post by greatmum »

Hi All,
Is it too soon to be asking how did it go today? It was supposed to be easier than Langley/Herschel exam. I hope parents and children are feeling relieved now!!! Now for hardest part of the process i.e. the wait for the results!!!!!
Greatmum
anne2

Post by anne2 »

Yep - my son seemed to think it was easier than the consortium exam too - I wonder why that was ? Less of the dreaded Non Verbal perhaps - or just getting used to exam situation maybe. We are very very relieved - just been out for a pizza to celebrate getting it over and done with!!
worriedmummy

slough grammar exam

Post by worriedmummy »

Hi,
Yes, my daughter found all components of the exam considerably easier than the consortium one!! :) The dreaded NVR last Saturday really knocked my daughter's confidence. :cry:
We also found the staff friendlier and process more organised than last week. It was a better atmosphere.
Good Luck to all those tired parents and children out there!!!

worried mummy
Drastic Dad

Post by Drastic Dad »

We went to Slough yesterday and my son found the exam very, very easy (including Maths!). Langley had shaken his confidence but he is all smiles now. Can't tell any more at this stage but don't worry, it is a 'normal' children's exam with no pressure.
chad

Post by chad »

That is the feedback that I have had.....an exam that would show what the children could/couldn't do but not one that would cause a child to panic...... Good Luck for results day.
jazzy

Slough becoming a local comprehensive school

Post by jazzy »

Well I heard that Slough was not going to remain part of a grammar school does anyone else know about this? It's stats where the same as a few local schools. I am not suprised the exam was easy. Langley and Herschel seem to be the top 2 schools with more parents wanting their children going there.
chad

Post by chad »

I haven't heard that SG is not going to a grammar.... I will ask around...it is St. Bernards that is possibly merging with ST Josephs and so giving up its 'Grammar' status.

The 11+ exam is set by NFER.... exactly the same as the Consortium..... but consists of a Maths section (as per the consortium up to this year).

What stats are you referring to. SG's GCSE' stats have gone up over the last 3 years and I believe was around 96-97% A* - C for this year. In fact all of one Maths class (33) achieved A*'s.

I know SG's A level stats are not as good as Langley or Herschel but since many of SG's top students opt for the IB it does bring the A' level stats down as IB is not included but the total number of pupils are. (There is also the fact that SG has an large intake at sixth form from other schools in the area.... so their A'level stats are not just from their own 'grammar' students)

As I have said before..... Langley has always been harder to get in to... Herschel (I believe) is the school that has shown the most progress in recent years......
Slough G has an 'Old school' head who certainly doesn't seem to want to 'market' the school..... but having had an 'Outstanding' OFSTED this year I don't think that you could say it is on a par with 'local' schools. OFSTED would not give an 'outstanding' grade without the pupils having made excellent progress from their starting point in Y7.

I would be interested in knowing what stats you are referring..... as I am always looking to update my knowledge on the grammar schools in Slough. :)
jazzy

Post by jazzy »

Hi Chad thanks for your information. The clarity would be good as I have had lots of people telling me SG will not remain so.
The stats I am reffering to will have no bearings to you as I was comparing local schools in my area out of Slough. I was trying to put a point accross why stress and travel so far when ones local school is doing well academically as well as statistically. :)
chad

Post by chad »

I have asked around today.......and no contacts that I have at SG are aware of any change of status....... in fact they say that the head would not let it happen.

Jazzy..... where are you based as I do not know of any non-grammar in the surrounding areas that achieves 96-97% GCSE grades.
jazzy

Post by jazzy »

Chad

I have been registered since August 08 and always read comments on the site but never really asked any questions woz bit nervous Lol :?
So I really appreciate your replies to questions asked. Do you know about scores and how they are worked out for Langley consortium.
:)
Schools around Greenford