Review school work submitted by the school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lacey

Review school work submitted by the school

Post by lacey »

Question if the primary school submit a piece of science work where the conclusion wasn't added would you not think that odd? :?

I keep wondering why the primary school didn't make sure that the school work that was given wasn't even looked through. Are the school allowed to send just any piece of work.

I was wondering if I would have a case if I did appeal considering this is Medway that have changed their rules.

Could anyone help me on this. I am so annoyed. It seems that the Catholic primary school didn't even try and just wanted her to go to the feeder school. Not one child passed the review in the school.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

l am sorry that the review process did not work out for you.

You can still appeal - The panel will consider if the review was carried out in a fair and consistent way. If they decide it was not - they will then consider your evidence in the usual way. (i.e. as if you had not been to review).

Last year the review process in Medway was successfully challenged, that it was not fair and consistent. Nobody knows if this will be the case this year, until the appeals panels hear the evidence, or someone makes a complaint to the ombudsman.

If you do decide you want to continue to appeal you should visit the appeal forum. They may be able to answer your question relating to work submitted by your school.

I have PM'd you.
lacey

Post by lacey »

Thank for your PM.
I think in an appeal aren't the primary school involved with sending work again?
I have become very untrusting towards my daughters primary school at the moment, they have really let her down. I have been talking to another parent, apparently this happened with her first son, so she didn't bother with the review with her next son. I wished I had spoken to her earlier. What she did do and what I am planning on doing. Is let my daughter start her non selective school and then sit an entrance exam for the grammar school at a later date.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

My understanding of the Medway review is that it only considers the information provided by the school.

In an appeal(where no review has taken place) you can submit other information i.e. other academic or extenuating circumstance for non-qualification.

I believe that if you decide go to appeal you are challenging that the review was not carried out in a fair and consistent manner. If you can get an appeal panel to agree that it was not fair, then you can present your appeal as above.

However, in this case, you are questioning the evidence supplied by the school, not the review panel’s outcome. It is not clear to me what your options would be under these circumstances. This is why I suggested appeals section, they may be able to assist, or at least, point you in the right direction.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I have to add my two penneth here. I find it slightly bizarre that Medway test on
Math
English
VR
Yet during the review process they want to see Science work. In my experience, primary schools vary a lot on the science front. My own children have had different teachers that like / dislike Science. The teachers that like Science teach it a lot more and to a better standard (ie. including practicals etc) and the children get to grips with it better, but the teachers who aren't a lover of science (and there is nothing wrong with this, art - music - whatever I appreciate we all have favourites) well those teachers don't do so much Science therefore this subject , to me, is unfair to be put forward at a Review for Grammar School Selection.
Just my humble opinion tho... :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now