Medway failed Review/Appeal next

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mitdan

Medway failed Review/Appeal next

Post by mitdan »

Hi, I am new to this great site and was wondering if anyone can help me with a answer to my problem.
My daughter took and failed the 11+ by 8 points,after consulting with the school they said they would back my daughter and 2 other pupils through a review.
Everything was completed, school sent in the girls work no problem,Saturday arrives my daughter doesn't receive her letter,after spending the weekend and Monday morning ringing around eventually got hold of the Directer Of Education for Medway and was told my daughters review had been sent back not reviewed,he was very embarrassed said there had been some problems with her work and they would convene a emergency meeting on Tuesday.
For some reason unknown, my daughters school had to take all her school books to the review not just the two pieces of english,maths and science, she never had one book left at school.
The outcome of the review was that she was deemed not selective,even thou one of the other girls failed by 12 points and in lower sets at school won her review.
My question is I know that if you have a failed review ,that when you go to appeal the panel only has to prove that the review was carried out in a proper manner and fairly which was not the case.
when we go to appeal what is the procedure do we get to sit in front of a panel like you would if you went to appeal without review.
Sorry to be so long winded I have read the appeals sticky and cannot get my head around it,there have been so many mistakes made in my daughters review ,the school have said they have never seen anything like it,they are backing us at review, we have never received a letter about the original review,all her school books used even her year 5 draft book which is untidy because they only do drafts in there,was there different people on Tuesday from the people that sent her review back on Friday,I am totally confused.
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

For what it is worth - and in my 'layman's opinion' only - you may well have grounds to appeal on the basis that the review process was either unfair or inconsistent. If there were mistakes in procedure etc that should help your case.
It is an important matter so get proper advice. There is a Kent education advice site which also covers Medway and which I have found useful.
Good luck.
mitdan

Post by mitdan »

Thanks,I will look for the site now.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Hi Mitdan, well I can certainly understand your frustration!
I do know of a child who went through review but it appeared that one of his books (think it was Math) was lost at the review stage. The review was unsuccessful and they went to appeal and stated their case in front of the appeal panel that they felt
1. the appeal was unfair and inconsistent
2. there was evidence to show grammar ability.

On this occasion the appeal was successful.
I do think you should definitely take this to appeal but you need to be very organised and write down EVERYTHING in detail that happened, dates, books, letters, phone calls. It will all help in March.

Good Luck. :)
mitdan

Post by mitdan »

Thanks Medwaymum ,that is exactly what we are doing,school is also helping by logging down all the details that they were asked to do.
mitdan

Post by mitdan »

Hi guys
I have just received my daughters review request response,I have a couple of questions,if anyone could answer.
We realize that our first step is to win the appeal by proving the review was faulty and inconsistent and not conducted in a fair manner.
On the response form from the panel it shows my daughters year 5 QCA optional test scores,English writing 4a,2 points away from a 5c,English reading and maths 4b.
By the time the appeal comes around in March the school is confident that she will be level 5,s on all subjects,the test was taken in September.
My question is ,if we win the appeal against the review,we then have to prove that she is capable of going to Grammar,will the panel take work that she has done recently which hopefully come March is of sound level 5,s or do they look at work that was shown at review,I am going to ask the school if they can do a QCA optional test before the appeal and hopefully this will show level 5s.