UCS entrance exams at 11+

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
naxa

UCS entrance exams at 11+

Post by naxa »

Can anyone tell me what form the entrance exams take for UCS school in Hampstead? I am thinking of this school for my son who is currently in Y5, he is very sporty and reasonably academic and I have been told the school might suit him but I don't know anyone at the school and couldn't find information on their website about the types of exams.
Anyone who has been through the process with any insight or tips?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

If your son is sporty I believe that boys play sport on average twice a week - some schools play up to 5 days a week but I'm not sure which ones, so it may be worth looking in to. I know they've just built a fantastic sports complex though which I assume a sporty boy could use all the time

About 2/3 of 11-year-olds come from the junior school. They move up without needing to take an entrance exam. 30ish come from outside – mostly local state primaries. 200 applicants take maths, English and NVR tests, and about half are called back for group activities and interview. Another 30 come in at 13, mostly from local preps. They are assessed during the summer term of year 7 in maths, English and non-verbal reasoning, with half invited back for interviews, with offers conditional on common entrance. As with most London schools the kids tend to have had a tutor about 2 years before but this is not essential. You could always start him at the junior school, places permitting, which would mean he wouldn't need to sit the entrance exam.
melinda

Post by melinda »

Tipsy, you seem to know everything about every independant school in the country (or it seems that way!). Have you applied to them all?? :lol:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Not everyone, the girls ones are a bit of a mystery. :wink: You have to remember that I have lived in many places and my boys have been in many schools so I have lots of friends in lots of schools, plus I've visited more than was necessary. :)
Thea

Post by Thea »

Tipsy - I am also very impressed by your detailed knowledge ( and willingness to share)! When this is all over you should set up as an educational consultant /adviser!
Best Regards,
Thea
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Thea wrote:Tipsy - I am also very impressed by your detailed knowledge ( and willingness to share)! When this is all over you should set up as an educational consultant /adviser!
Tipsy doesn't have time, I am afraid - she is really Chair of the Headmasters' Conference! :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

No No - that's John Cleese being chased down the driveway of KES .... (remember Clockwise????)
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

hermanmunster wrote:No No - that's John Cleese being chased down the driveway of KES .... (remember Clockwise????)
Yes - little did I think when I watched the film that one day I would be sitting in that very hall watching my DS being awarded loads of prizes! (Oops, that last bit was just wishful thinking, sorry about that. :oops: )
solimum

Post by solimum »

And little did I think when glued to "Inspector Morse" that I would be entrusting my son to the hallowed precincts and dreaming spires with such a high murder rate!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Oh, Clockwise school is KES!!!!