Pass mark for Trinity & Whitgift Schools 10+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mummyto3

Pass mark for Trinity & Whitgift Schools 10+

Post by Mummyto3 »

Anyone know what the pass mark is for their 10+ exam? My son is in yr 5 and will be sitting the exam in January. Have told my son that he will need to pass each section by 90% to stand a good chance of being called for interview.

Is that about right??

Thanks.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I doubt the standard is as high as this. There were many children passed for Whitgift last year who did not pass a grammar school exam. They interview a large percentage of the applicants, so even if you have a blip you have the chance to make up for it at interview.
melinda

Post by melinda »

I was also told (maybe a vicious rumour!) that a few boys who had not passed the test had an interview anyway, not sure how true this is, but obviously they do look at the personality and suitably of the boys as well as their academic prowess. Not such a bad thing.
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Thanks for this.
I am assuming that it is harder to pass the grammar exams due to the high number of applicants therefore you have to be in the top percentile to pass. Do you know how long the interviews are? Sorry for all the questions but am an over anxious mother!!!
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Your son will have about a ten minute academic interview on his own. He is asked to take something in to talk about. This is usually with Mr. Beck who is the registrar and absolutely great with the boys. He seems to readily put them at their ease and get them to chat. You will then follow your son in and (plus or minus partner) then have a chat with Mr. Beck for a further 10 minutes. This is usually to find out what you think about your son's strengths and weaknesses and he will often give an indication as to how your son has done. I came away each time fairly confident my son had done enough academically along as I hadn't mucked it up. He will ask you where else you have applied.

You will then all have a further interview with "senior management" lasting about another 10 minutes. We have had this variously with the headmaster, the chaplain and I think head of history. This is harder as not necessarily so good at putting the boys at ease and it seems to be a mixture of trying to suss out your true intentions and potential of your children. I think you only get the headmaster if they are thinking about serious scholarship/bursary/possible borderline and otherwise I think is a bit of a formality.

At the end of the day if you have a pleasant child, who is reasonably academic, plus or minus other attractions for the school and are reasonable parents who can afford to pay, they are likely to be very keen on you and you are unlikely to muck an interview up if you talk positively. Remember they are businesses who are competing for your business and if you have a bright child it is not just about them selecting you.

Whitgift do not like the thought that they may be an insurance policy and you can get into deep water with the headmaster if you do not appear to be really positive about the school. However if you are sitting it at 10+ that will not be an issue and I don't think he really regards Trinity as serious competition, but he is very wary of those considering grammars.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Sorry forgot to answer first part of your question, yes it is harder to pass the grammars-more competition for places, higher standard
melinda

Post by melinda »

I heard the same thing about seeing the headmaster equals scholarship - I was hopeful at the time, but we got the chaplain! He was very pleasant and easy going. We didn't feel pressured at anytime and Mr Becks was lovely to talk to and very enthusiastic about all thing Whitgift - which is what you want I guess.
I will also emphasis making their school your first choice is vital. Though they obviously know that many parents use their school as plan B.
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Thank you so much for this. Really helpful - praying that we get to the interview stage.

My son initially was keen on Whitgift but then changed his mind to Trinity. I pray I have to choose between the two of them, but if we do have that option whichever one my son prefers will be chosen. Personally I prefer Whitgift as it is nearer to work and home!!
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I've sent you a pm
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Surreymum

How do I access it??! There is nothing in my hotmail.