So close.....120....now what?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tryer

So close.....120....now what?

Post by tryer »

Hi All,

Just spoke to my son on the phone who has told me he scored 119 and 120, which means its 120.....That is agonisingly close.....What would you all advise we do next.

thanks.
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

tryer, that is so hard... to be so close.
But the reassuring thing much be that it is so close.
Patricia always says if you feel GS is right then do consider appealing. I know that others will be along to talk who can give much better advice but just to say sorry to you and I really feel for your DS.
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Hi Tryer

The first thing is an apt. with your head early next week. They are great scores for an appeal. Hopefully, you will have the full backing of the school and then, over the weekend go onto the Appeal Site (above us) and get your head around what has to happen next by reading generic threads and then threads from this time last year specific to Bucks.

Loads of us have been where you are now and eventually either by appeal or 12+ finally got where we wanted to be - so it's not quite the outcome you hoped for but it was a good score and its not the end of the road.

Keep asking questions if you hit brick walls either personally or with the system.

Ambridge x
tryer

Post by tryer »

Putting ifs, buts and maybe's to one side, I can't help thinking that he has a Sept birthday and that has not benefitted him at all....Our Bucks school of choice is Burnham Grammar school which was placed 2nd on the CAF so i'm interested to hear everyone's views.
andyb

Post by andyb »

Hi Tryer

If we were in that position we would appeal because that is what we feel would be right for our child. Both scores are so close - it's not as if one of the scores was flukily(?) close and the other was way off. However, you know your son better than anyone so you will instinctively do what is right. Sleep on it, after all there's nothing you can do til Monday anyway.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Tryer

I am very sorry to hear the news. On scores that close you should certainly consider appealing.

If you go to the Appeals section of the Forum you will find quite a lot of reading matter:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... m.php?f=35

Please start by reading the "Sticky" at the top of the section entitled Appeals Secion Guidelines - please read before you post", take a good look at the Appeals Q&A and then post on the Appeals section if you would like further advice.

We will be very happy to help you if we possibly can.

Sally-Anne
Bucks Mum

Post by Bucks Mum »

Only you know your child and your other options but my thoughts to myself in this position would be

1. Can we do an appeal and yet promise to keep DC out of it as much as possible and positively move on with Plan B while we're appealing? If so then go for it.

2. With such high near-misses how would I feel in January if I don't appeal and I hear of other children whose appeals succeeded with lower scores than my DC's? Every case is different but I think I would kick myself.

Just my totally subjective take on it.

BM x
tryer

Post by tryer »

Thanks for the views, So, the decision is to appeal....here we go...

With the result letter was a letter from the head strongly suggesting we appeal so the school is backing him. The letter mentions 9 cases from last year which were backed by the school and 8 were succesful...so that kind of made the decision for us. With his letter is the whole appeals pack....

Anyone with specific advice with a similar story...I'm all ears!

cheers.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now