Mitigating factors.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
batty

Mitigating factors.

Post by batty »

I've read the thread regarding appeals and have noted mitigating factors play a part in the process. How much waiting is placed on these factors? My daughter scored 118 on her second test and 111 on the first. No mitigating factors to state, just pure old fashioned nerves during the first test.
Any suggestions?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Batty

It is perfectly possible to go to an Appeal without any mitigating circumstances, provided you have strong academic evidence.

An Appeal panel will obviously ask about what may have gone wrong, but a panel would far rather hear the honest reply of "it seems to have been simple nerves, and her results were going in the right direction - 111, 118, ???" than a string of limp excuses!

However, without mitigating circumstances of any sort, you will need very sound academic evidence, and it should all demonstrate high ability if possible.

Batty - it helps us if you can stay on your original thread, so that we can track back through your "case history" when advising you. It also makes a useful "case study" in each appeal case for future users to browse through and learn from.

Once I know you have seen this (by replying) I will merge these posts with your original thread.

Sally-Anne
batty

Post by batty »

Thank you Sally Anne.
DD has always performed consistently well at school,( eg, top groups for literacy and numeracy since yr 2). Will the headteachers report have a large baring too?
So for questions, but appreciate your help.
:? :?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Batty,

Yes the HT report will say whether he/she recommended your child for a GS place. look out the Y5 report and any NC levels to back up your appeal.
batty

Post by batty »

Excuse my ignorance Guest 55, but are NC levels national ciriculum levels? :?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Also CATs scores or other VR test results. The key is to demonstrate not just diligent and hard-working, but bright.

Batty - I can't quite do merging at the moment (or possibly at all, as I have forgotten how to!), as I am fielding 11+ emails and phone calls at the same time as posting here! For my own reference I am just posting a link to your original thread so I (and others) can find it:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=8252

Sally-Anne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry, yes. NC = national curriculum level.

Have you got the KS1 levels? Any optional SATs levels? CATs scores? All can be useful.
batty

Post by batty »

Thank you Guest 55, I will meet with the HT asap to collate info. Looks like quite a daunting process! but feel we owe it to DD to try after she put in so much hard work herself.
Hope

Post by Hope »

Hi Batty

It is a fairly daunting process, although with the help of everyone on this forum it becomes less daunting as there are many people who are happy to give you very good advice.

We went to appeal last year and were sucessful. Go and talk to the headteacher next week and then go from there.

Although daunting, it can be done.
batty

Post by batty »

Thank you Hope for the encouraging words.
Trying to put disappointment to one side and focus on appeal, will definately be looking to the forum for support as it has been a saviour so far. :) :) :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now