advice on OoS

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dejavu

advice on OoS

Post by dejavu »

Received our case papers today for our appeal on Monday. Had a mad panic as 20 pages appeared to be missing, but the appeals panel said they were copies of certificates etc and they are given to the appeal panel separately. But it is still worth checking as they had not copied one important page which they said they would now include!

Anyway, we now have the ranking as follows:

VRTS Pass Ranking HTR Att

141 Y 1 1 1
141 Y 2 1 1
141 Y 3 1 1
134 Y 4 1 1
134 Y 5 2 1
129 Y 6 2 1
125 Y 7 2 1
124 Y 8 2 1
118 N 9 2 1 My Daughter
124 Y 10 2 1
120 N(Y) 11 2 1 Won Appeal
116 N 12 2 1
112 N 13 2 1
121 Y 14 2 1
121 Y 15 2 1
114 N 16 2 1

Looks like the HT was reasonably accurate.

I am so pleased that I have found this site with all the useful info. I would not have thought for one moment to ask about reading age. Our head gave us her official letter with my daughters Year 5 reading and spelling (they have not done it in year 6 yet). For reading test she got 13.6, chron age 9.11 and spelling 11.8, chron age 9.11.

She also put on this letter "I wish you every success in your appeal. Your daughter would thrive at a grammar school and has great academic potential", which I thought was lovely of her to put.

Any comments appreciated.
many thanks
dejavu
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear dejavu

Yes, the head has done very well.

The 1s are 100% accurate as they all qualified. Remarkably, they even meet the stricter test of 131+ (which is what a "1" recommendation is really meant to be).

The 2s are 58% accurate, which is certainly above average. (I've omitted the successful appeal - I know you'd like to count it :D - as this information won't be available at the appeal. No reason why you shouldn't mention it, though!)

Your daughter is nicely situated at no. 9.

I think it's helpful. :D
Etienne
dejavu

thanks

Post by dejavu »

Thank you Etienne for such a quick response. We feel a lot happier that you said our Daughter was "nicely placed" (shame about the first score/blip of 112).

The fact that the Head had an above average success rate for OoS, would it mean that when she says our daughter has "great academic potential" that it gives our case greater credibility?
Etienne wrote:Dear dejavu

Yes, the head has done very well.

The 1s are 100% accurate as they all qualified. Remarkably, they even meet the stricter test of 131+ (which is what a "1" recommendation is really meant to be).

The 2s are 58% accurate, which is certainly above average. (I've omitted the successful appeal - I know you'd like to count it :D - as this information won't be available at the appeal. No reason why you shouldn't mention it, though!)

Your daughter is nicely situated at no. 9.

I think it's helpful. :D
many thanks
dejavu
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I would have thought so.
"great academic potential"
Just the sort of comment panels like to see ............
Etienne
nibbee

Post by nibbee »

Can anyone please advise when the OoS (which we are currently awaiting with the case papers) would have been completed by the headteacher?
capers123

Re: advice on OoS

Post by capers123 »

dejavu wrote:but the appeals panel said they were copies of certificates
Just out of curiosity, what were the certificates for?
Capers
dejavu

types of certificates

Post by dejavu »

We included copies of her academic achievements such as her grade 2 trumpet, creative writing, solving the school's monthly puzzle challenge, school's gold certificate of merit for schoolwork (10 merits = 1 silver, 5 silvers = 1 gold), and one for good progress and achievements while attending the after school French club for two years.

Then we also put in some to give the panel an idea about her all round abilities and interests, such as diplomas for becoming one of the UK's top dog showing handlers, representing the school at badminton and playing hockey for town's junior hockey club. We were not sure how relevant the last batch were but hoped it would show that she could contribute well to a grammar school environment.

Hope this is of use. I do not know whether we inluded too much, but as we have to try and prove that her first score of 112 was an anomaly we didn't have anything to lose.
many thanks
dejavu
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

nibbee wrote:Can anyone please advise when the OoS (which we are currently awaiting with the case papers) would have been completed by the headteacher?
I believe the deadline for Buckinghamshire and partner schools was 9th Nov.
Etienne
nibbee

Post by nibbee »

Thank you for that Etienne. No doubt I will post again once I have seen the OoS.
wailea

APPEALS BUCKS

Post by wailea »

Could someone explain what the OoS are please?

thank you
Wailea