Bromley region

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BromleyGuest

Bromley region

Post by BromleyGuest »

Why is there no 11 Plus region for Bromley? There seems to be little or no information about the region, despite the fact it has two of the most successful selective schools in the country.

Has anyone out there succssfully got their child into either of these schools, if so let us hear your story.
Nosey

Post by Nosey »

Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that there are only two schools in Bromley: Newstead and St. Olave's. Which one do you need further information on?

Post by Guest »

My son passed St O's 2 years ago. He turned down the place (not a common event!) because he'd got a scholarship at an independent he'd set his heart on.

He said the reasoning was unbelievably difficult (he only got to around qn 80 out of 100), but he still passed.

I understand they've now changed the exams - much less reasoning to do, as part of maths paper rather than separate. Anything you read elsewhere about the maths being GCSE standard (comment somewhere else on this forum) is clearly not right, with respect. My son went to a state primary which gave him no specific preparation - I covered subjects with him which he'd not done, but I think I'd know if I'd gone 5 years beyond what he'd done at school!

Some people do have issues with the pastoral side. Can't comment from personal experience.

Post by Guest »

Hi - I thought I would correct the misunderstanding/misinterpretation about my comment below. I didn't say that the whole paper was at GCSE level, rather that some of the most difficult questions require a degree of reasoning at this level. My son sat the test last year and two of the questions he described to me required a very sophisticated level of mathematical thinking. It is obvious that there will be several questions designed to really stretch the most able candidates otherwise it would be impossible to rank them - everyone would pass with flying colours. It is not so much that he will encounter unforeseen topics just that several of the questions will test the depth of their knowledge.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now