fobbing me off or what??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

shaann

fobbing me off or what??

Post by shaann »

I have just come off the phone to admissions shire hall about my DD`s scores.From my workings of her Pates scores and Stroud scores she should have passed for Denmark.

I asked if they could check they said NO! Not asking for a score or ranking just a double check for my benefit on a screen just for human confirmation.I said that surely the score once standardised would be higher for denmark than for Pates,as there would be higher scores for Pates than anywhere else.Surely???

Lady said probabaly denmark had the big scorers and not Pates.
YEAH RIGHT ????

What do you think?Has anyone else heard this?

No sour grapes by the way just confused and wanted to check there was no mistake as it all seemed a bit strange.
MarkyBoy1972

Post by MarkyBoy1972 »

If you are happy to reveal, what score did yours get? Mine scored a Pates score of 220 and passed for both Denmark and Ribston... does this help?
shaann

Post by shaann »

209 pates 220 stroud.
MarkyBoy1972

Post by MarkyBoy1972 »

I must confess that I do not know how much difference there is between standardisation BETWEEN schools and hopefully there will be more expert views on this forum that will help you.

As you say, it seems a little harsh and surprising that a Pates 209 does not convert into a higher score and therefore a qualifying score for Denmark.

Good luck in your quest for more information / help.
shaann

Post by shaann »

Thanks! between the two results I have I thought Denmark would be about 214 ish and my Ribston score would be about 224 ish.????

Heck what do I know??

Could they not all just tell us with workings out so we can see for ourselves.It would be alot easier and they are OUR scores!

One day...........
MarkyBoy1972

Post by MarkyBoy1972 »

That level of detail and information would be fantastic ... and it would get my vote!

A placing, not a score, would be enough to help most parents. I realise why they do not do it, but it simply adds to the pressure and the wait til March seems a long way off. :evil:

Hope you get what you want and good luck.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Possibly the Denmark is higher because it is just girls that are being standardised? Still find it hard to get my head around this one though I have to agree. I like the Crypt system best. A pass mark and a score, it is hard on those close to the pass mark whether just above or below but atleast you have some idea and can prepare yourself.
LML69

Post by LML69 »

I get very confused with score and all this standardisation malarkey. My DD got a Pates score of 225 and got Denmark Road (we omitted to tick Ribston), I thought Denmark needed 210 as did Ribston, well thats what it states on their website admissions criteria, yet if they both need 210 in order for a pass, how come you seem to need more points to get into Denmark? I'm sure someone will tell me tho' LOL.
MarkyBoy1972

Post by MarkyBoy1972 »

The Pates standardisation score of 225 does not equate exactly or simply to the Denmark Road score.... the Pates score will take acount of how all those taking the Pates test scored and rank them.

Typically you would expect those taking the Denmark Road test to not perform to the same dizzy heights as those taking Pates and so your daughter probably has a Denmark Road standardisation score above 225 when positioned within the Denmark Road 'league table'. Hope this makes sense - the long and short of it is that your Pates score does not simply transfer across and become your Denmark Road score because standardisation takes account of those against whom you are being compared.

That is my understanding anyway ... in real terms and when looking purely at Denmark Road a score of 225 would be a little higher for Denmark ... so well above the required 210.

Someone care to agree or help us all out with a better explanation!? 8)
capers123

Post by capers123 »

shaann wrote:209 pates 220 stroud.
The bottom Stroud Pass was 216. My daughter scored 227 and is ranked 126 (for 120 places). There are at least 180 who passed for Stroud High, and the cut-odd ranking will be between 150 and 160 (going on past years) - I'd say that a score of 220 would be somewhere around 160.

It could be that Ribston set a higher pass mark so that there are less girls who have passed yet don't get a place (which would be very frustrating & upsetting - I remember that from some of DD's friends last year, and I fear one this year).

It also has an effect on appeals - a pass means that you only have to appeal on grounds that the school may say that it is oversubscribed but can fit a couple more in, where as a non-pass means you have to appeal against non-qualification AND against over-subscription, so have two hurdles to jump - it could be the schools way of discouraging appeals.
Capers
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now