Coming out of the system....

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
PrettyWoman

Coming out of the system....

Post by PrettyWoman »

Hi everybody. This is the dilemma my family are currently mulling over. We have 2 sons, year 5 and year 2 in Independent school. They love school and we love them being there. Then there came the credit crunch. I run my own small business and employ 2 people full-time. By making one person redundent we can manage the fee's for one child.

Is it worth it? And how do we decide? My year 5 will probably not get into Grammar as he had hearing problems early on and although grommits fixed it and he's fine now he missed a lot of the early phonic work, consequently his reading and spelling are poor. Maths and science are brilliant. I feel he would not be pushed in the state system and may just drift along in a class of 30. My year 2 is considerably brighter and would do well in the state system but also would get so much more out of the Independent. As an example he takes part in all the extra activities on offer whereas his brother does nothing.

Where do we invest our money or do we pull them both out, not make anybody redundent, and say we did our best for as long as we could? It seems so cruel when my year 5 is so near the end. We have fee's until the end of this academic year but then the pot is empty!!!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I really feel for you.

What a tough set of choices you have to make - particularly when those choices affect an employee and, presumably, their family as well as your own.

Because of this, I am truly struggling to even BEGIN to feel able to advise you - it's too much for my conscience to cope with!

I guess it's a fact of life that, when times are tough, people lose their jobs.

Naturally you will want to put your children first. Just remember that there are many good schools within the state sector too, although I appreciate that class sizes are important to you and that one of children may not reach the required standard in the 11+.

Good luck with your difficult choices. Maybe someone will be braver than me and tell you what they would do - I'm genuinely struggling with this one.
mum3

Post by mum3 »

I see you are in Gloucestershire. Well, there are some excellent state schools in Gloucestershire so you are lucky. I would use one of those.
PrettyWoman

Post by PrettyWoman »

Thanks for your comments. I have rung a few schools in our area. I have only found 1 that could take both my children and I'm not sure it would be right for the brighter one. It seems the good schools are all full!

With regard to my staff member, she is a single girl still living at home so the repercussions are not quite so bad and I couldn't bring myself to do anything before Christmas, although I hate the thought of having it hang over me as well!

I've always treated my children equally and this is the first time in my eyes that they are being separated. Or is this common and do I just do what is best for each chid based on where they will be happiest?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Remember if a school can take one child you can appeal to get the other one in -
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I think that we all probably need to do what is best for each child on an individual basis. I have never had to really implement this yet though. Sorry that I am so woolly on this, I just would hate to give you the wrong advice!!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I think that it would be best to keep your eldest in the independent school for a variety of reasons. As for your youngest he seems capable of fitting into state school, and who knows by the time he's Year 6 age your business may be doing better. Lots of people send their kids to good state primaries and they integrate well into senior independents - a number on this sites posters children have gone down this route.

Regarding your business and letting people go if you have to, then your kids come first and that's all there is too it - don't feel guilty.
PrettyWoman

Post by PrettyWoman »

Well I've decided to adopt a short time working policy in order to avoid redundency in the immediate future. I shall reduce both my employees down to a four day week - not ideal but at least they both keep their jobs. I am in the childcare business and hopefully more mums may go back to work after christmas as the credit crunch continues and my business will pick up.

I am going to make an appointment to see the Headmaster at school and tell him straight we can only afford one set of fee's and which child would benefit. You never know he may offer us a bursary or longer to pay the fees.

At least nobody has died but I feel I have let the children down even though they are not bothered when we talk to them about it. Mind you they have never been to a state school.

I just need lots of positives now to keep me going lol!
JASMINE

Post by JASMINE »

Hi PrettyWoman,

My sister went through a very similar situation afew years back when my brother in law lost his business. It was difficult time for her like yourself and both her boys were going to independent schools. She had to pull them out and send them to the local primary. They settled in well and the oldest went on to a grammar school and the youngest to the local comprehensive and has done really well.

Sorry to rabbit on but the message I am trying to convey here is that if you stay positive and go down the route you have chosen with a open and positive mind the outcome will be a good one.

All the best
WFW1112

Post by WFW1112 »

Don't worry if one of your children or even both will be going to state school, I think children are very adaptable.

When we were in overseas, my two boys were in private school for six years ( including kindergarten) (All fees paid by my husband's company), when we came back two years ago, they were a bit shock for the state school they went in, you just can't compare with both schools. But they both accepted and settled in very well.

My elder son will be taking 11+ this Saturday.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now