Do we take need to supply school work with appeal form?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
batty

Do we take need to supply school work with appeal form?

Post by batty »

Hi, We are appealing for non qualifaction for my daughter. We have HT full support and i am in the process of completing the appeal form for Bucks. Can someone please just clarify the info i need to send in the first instance? Do i send the appeal form, HT summary sheet, and a covering letter stating education ability/evidence, ie predicted SATS levels, top numeracy and literacy groups? - A bullet pointed list of her current ability.
I am aware that i will need to show evidence of her school work, ie, books, project work, school reports, but am unsure when i should deliver these.
I have read and reread the appeal Q&A's but am getting in a bit of a muddle/panic.
Any help, much appreciated.
:? :D
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Batty

The only item that you must send in before the deadline is your application form for the appeal.

If you have all the other paperwork that you wish to submit ready, you can enclose that too. (You should obviously keep copies!)

If any item is not ready, you can submit it by post up to 7 days before the appeal date. You can also take any further new evidence (6 copies) with you to the hearing.

As a general note, it is unwise to submit significant amounts of new evidence during the hearing itself, because the Chairman might ask for an adjournment to another date to allow the panel time to study the new material.

School books and other evidence of school work should be taken to the hearing. (Appeal Q&As, E12)

If you are not happy with your letter at this point, hold back until you are, and re-read Appeal Q&As E11 - "Letter for Mary" - to get the general idea of what you need to include.

Sally-Anne
batty

Post by batty »

Thank you Sally Anne,
I was getting into quite a panic. We obviously have a tight time scale to work within to get the form in before the 12th and had envisaged trying to collect viable evidence the day before!
If i meet with school teachers in early Dec to select work, do i send raw copies in which will then be copied by the board for the meeting?
I will bear in mind not to take too much into the meeting on the day. Def do not want the appeal adjourned!

Batty.
:)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Batty
Sally-Anne wrote: School books and other evidence of school work should be taken to the hearing.
:D

Panels do not like receiving "selected work", because it does not allow them to evaluate the standard of the child's achievement over time.

Ideally you would take in English, Maths and Science exercise books as the "core" of the work, possibly History and Geography if they are good, plus any other books or work that is of an extremely high standard. Once you get into the realms of RE and Art the panel only want to see stuff that is truly exceptional.

If you are still struggling with the forms and evidence, just send your form and the Head's form, and write "to follow" against the other items on the checklist.

If you are unsure whether you will be able to get all the evidence you need from the school before the 12th, you could also make yourself unavailable for an appeal date until 3 - 4 days into the spring term. That would give you a little extra breathing space. You then have a second chance to get what you need from the school once it re-opens.

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now