Academic Ability - how to?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lollypop

Academic Ability - how to?

Post by lollypop »

Hi there; since we received the 11+ results (last Friday) I have been glued in the computer researching...what to do with the 'no passing mark. I have read all the information that i've found in your posts plus other webs and today we met with the HT,
The mitigatings circunstances are more than fulfil 1. Firts language no English (never spoken at home actually!) 2.- cultural diferences and 3,- medical report that in 2006 the child suffered mild case of low self steem. We have all this information which are due to submit, especially she was in year 2 with exelents marks (1 and 2s) and year 3 she was the 'worst' student (4 and 5s). We do not worry about this in the sense that we have a clear case of 'mitgant circunstances.

Now them, here comes the problem...is my child suitable for GS???? I cannot demostrate so. The report in year 4 is not good (3 and 4s in key subjects) but the report in general said that this year the focus was to establis the child's confident - the teacher is also sending a letter to corroborate in the state that teh child was when she started year 4...depresion...no concentration...in another world....In year 5 is when the child started to really understand where she was....and she was marked 3 in key subjects and 2 and 1 in others.....

The HT is more than supportive, marked 3-1 ( the 3 was because he did have his reserves....vulnerability on the date of the exam....lack o english vocabulary). that is all, we do not have probe that she is BRIGHT, the shcoll doe snot do any CATS or any this like that....and she was predicted two 4s and one 5. It does not sound good..but my point is...how can you compare a child that is just starting to learn with another that was not in this planet???would not be enough to demostrate that the child has been studied in realitu just con year and has achieved same level as others that are in normal conditions???

I am sure we do not have a strong case, marks were 112-114, which I am happy with because I know my child has come from way behind....and I know that her potential is there, we saw it before the problems..we can see now how in one year has pick up...

Need advise in how can I show to the panel that she is bright????

Sorry long post

Lollypop
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Hi Lollypop

Your post is far too complicated for me to comment on....others with expertise will do that really well.

My only comment is, your daughter seems to be progressing big time and quickly after a few bumpy patches, so, if you go ahead with an appeal and are unsuccessful, I would have thought, as long as your daughter makes the 2/3 x level 5's for SATS later this school year and settles into Yr 7 and makes the same good progress, that she will be a great contender for the 12+.

Not exactly what you hoped for, but it might all come right in the end.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Ambridge
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Lollypop

Has the Head told you what your daughter's predicted SATs are?

If the Head is being so supportive I suggest that your turn to him/her for the academic evidence that you need. You will need to demonstrate ability first and foremost, and that is not currently clear from your post.

Have you lived in this country throughout her schooling? A panel will ask that question to try to find out how much English she has picked up at school and outside the home.

Sallly-Anne
lollypop

Post by lollypop »

[quote="Sally-Anne"]Hi Lollypop

Has the Head told you what your daughter's predicted SATs are?
Two 4s and one 5.

Have you lived in this country throughout her schooling?we move all together in Feb 2005
lollypop

Post by lollypop »

[quote="Ambridge"]Hi Lollypop

Your post is far too complicated for me to comment on....others with expertise will do that really well.

Thanks for your words of support. I understand that you see the child's case complicated....so do we!. But at the end, it could be simple if we can explain ourselves...I guess. The situation was that someone was bullying the child through out the year...IT WAS NOT ANOTHER CHILD BUT A MEMBER OF THE STAFF....as you see is not a simple case of picking on her....it was more than that. The shool report says that they knew the case (without mentioned the person or saying it was s staff member); the medical report mentioned also the same. But I think that it was more complicated than that....the child could not trust ADULTS around the school; it was not just about self confident but also a question of trust.

The situation seems more clear...are we going for the appeal??? I just do not see how I can show then that my child is bright...that is my reservation....will be enough to show that after an awful start teh child is making progress....at the moment is an average intellectual child....that is what they will see.

I truly believe that she can cope with the GS and I also think that she needs that challenge, she deserves it. But at the end it is not like that, is not about being fair or not.....

That is the reason for my forum's title....how to demostrate my child's intellectual ability

many thanks

lollypop
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now