HELP !!!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sunflowergoldie

HELP !!!

Post by sunflowergoldie »

11 + my enemy. You know i've got 2 children giving their 11 + this year but instead of making my life heaven alas it's **** :shock: please give me tips. Having 1 child is enough for me but 2 that is double the trouble. If any of you are kind to give me suggestions please do speacially you Patricia. Thankyou for readding this.
Sunflowergoldie
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Sunflowergoldie

Firstly, to help we need to know what part of the country you are frorm?

What disciplines does your area cover, ie. is it Verbal Reasoning, Non Verval Reasoning, Maths or English or a mixture?

I am sure there are many out there with twins who can help you, but need to know your area first.

Patricia
Rita

double trouble

Post by Rita »

My son and my niece were studying for 11+ exams at the same time.
I found this a benefit because they got together to study.
He found it easier to study because he was not doing it alone. They used to do timed tests together although maybe not the same ones at the same time.
If they are competitive it may encourage them to work harder.
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Hi

Last year we had three sets of twins to prepare for the Wirral tests, we have also had a brother and sister who were born in the same school year.

We always treat the children as individuals.

With one set of twins, a boy and a girl, the parents had made a deliberate choice to have them educated at different independent primary schools because the girl was deemed to be more academically advanced than the boy. This was the case when they came to us, the boy lacking confidence because he believed his sister was cleverer.

The girl was always going to pass the 11+ she just needed to maintain a consistent performance. The boy needed far more support, he was on average scoring 20% lower marks than his sister.

Both children were tutored by different tutors because they had different needs and in the early stages the boys confidence would be knocked by his sister scoring higher marks.

Over a three month period we were able to bring the boy's scores up to his sisters scores and with some papers he was scoring higher marks, particularly closer to the test.

Both children passed the 11+ and are now in Wirral grammar schools.

The children were fortunate to have an extremely supportive mother who laid out a regime for her children. She had post-it notes in the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. She even laminated word lists and used them as place mats on the breakfast table.

Our role with the boy was to break down completed papers and identify problem areas, then give directed tuition on the question types he was having most difficulty with. We were able to provide guidance on the question types that were method and technique based and his mother assisted with the vocabulary.

This, to us, was the closest we have come to a perfect working relationship between child, parent and tutor.

As far as posting to this site for advice is concerned all the tutors and individuals who offer their advice freely need to know some basic information such as in which LEA the child will be sitting the 11+ test or which independent school the child will be sitting the common entrance test. Without this information the initial advice that we can give is purely anecdotal.

Regards

Mike
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now