Invigilator at Queen Marys Walsall

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
deb489

Invigilator at Queen Marys Walsall

Post by deb489 »

My nephew has come home from the entrance exam and has informed us that the invigilator that was in the room with the children, approached him during the exam twice once in the VR section when he was checking his answers and told him to rub out all his working out on the question paper then during the NVR paper he approached him while the exam was still ongoing and told him he could not work out the answer by crossing out the choices that were not the answer and told him to rub them out.

My son who also sat the test and was in a different room said that nobody approach him and he did his working out on the question papers in both exams even though the invigilator saw him doing this.

Can anyone shed anylight on to whether this is appropriate. My nephew said because he had to rub out the working out, he had to guess the last two questions.

They have both in the past entrance exams and practice that they are allowed to use the question papers to eliminate the wrong answers to give them a better percentage of getting to the right answer in NVR on the questions sheets.

All help and input appreciated before i contact the school to show these discrepancies in exams conditions in different rooms.

Many thanks Debbie
fm

Post by fm »

I have only one pupil doing the exam but he has also been taught by me to eliminate by crossing out the wrong ones. I shall discover as soon as possible if anyone had an issue with it and get back to you.
deb489

Post by deb489 »

thankyou
DS said he could use the question paper and Nephew was told to rub his out, they were in different rooms.

Debbie
fm

Post by fm »

Okay, just checked with my only pupil doing it. He said the children were told that they would prefer they did not mark the booklet so he put little marks rather than the crossings out he would normally do.

I would possibly register the disparity with the school in case it becomes an issue at a later date.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Deb

I have deleted your duplicate post on the 11plus Exams" section.

You will get a better local response here in the Birmingham section.

My own view is that something has gone wrong here, and your nephew's parents should write to the school without delay to state the circumstances and request an explanation.

Sally-Anne (Moderator)
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Yes, definitely, they should write immediately to set out the inequitable treatment to candidates in different rooms. If it comes to an appeal this could be crucial evidence, and worth much more if it is drawn to the attention of the school at this stage.
quizzer

Post by quizzer »

Totally agree

This is outrageous, i have asked my DS and he informed me that he was only told not to do any working out on the answer sheet and only put in the answers in it, but he was allowed to do all his working out on the question papers in both the VR and NVR exams.

I think the invigilator in that room must have got his wires crossed somewhere down the line.

As for disturbing a child in timed tests and disrupting their concentration in ANY exam, unless they are doing something seriously wrong, would not be allowed..... this would obviously effect a child of tender years even more.

I would inform the school right away and ask them to clarify what the procedure was supposed to be and if a whole room has had to do the exam differently to all the other canditates.

Quizzer
deb489

Many Thanks

Post by deb489 »

Many thanks to you all for replying.

We are at present writing a letter to the School informing them of what went on and asking them for an explanation as to why this has happened.

Will keep you posted on the outcome.

Many thanks Debbie
quizzer

Post by quizzer »

It would be interesting to know if this only happened to this group.

Could parents who's children sat the boys and girls exams for QM's post what the invigilators told them at the start of both the VR and NVR exams.

Useful information to have as i have another DS to get ready in a few years time.

Thanks

Quizzer
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now