VERY LATE REGISTRATION

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

VERY LATE REGISTRATION

Post by Guest »

Hi,
B.C.C this year for some reason are allowing for very late registrations! not because people have moved into the' area ' ,but because they decided late! These children will now be takibg the exams on the 4th and 12th of nov apparantly! Where will bucks draw the line?
One mother is thinking of withdrawing the child on these days as she hasn't been able to get through the papers due to holidays!! So they will then get a later date!!
B.C.C . WAKE UP!!!

Post by Guest »

The birth rate is low for this year's cohort, so there is a real risk of unfilled school places, as per other posts on the Bucks forum.

Rather agree with you, if this is true, that Bucks are no making up the rules as they go along.

Post by Guest »

this is very unfair as parents fish around for question types and answers from other parents and children.its an unfair adventage
resmum

Unfair?

Post by resmum »

One could argue that Bucks children have the advantage because they sit 2 practice tests in exam type conditions before the actual tests.

I don't think many children will remember or be willing to divulge details of individual questions. I can't see that gaining a couple of extra points would be a great advantage. After all, as many people on this forum have pointed out if you have to cheat or be coached for years to scrape a pass then you're going to have a miserable time trying to keep up at a grammar school.

If Bucks grammars are undersubscribed the CC only really have 2 options - either to lower the pass mark and let less able students enter the schools or to offer remaining places to out of county applicants such as ourselves who have no grammars in their borough.

If Bucks residents are being allowed to sit the exam at a later date on a whim as you have suggested, then that is a separate issue, which the CC should deal with. Most schools demand corroborating evidence from a doctor before they will allow a change of date.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest

Would love to know where this information is from.

Generally I believe Bucks CC to be one of the more 'open' LEAs.

Patricia
confused mother

Post by confused mother »

Hello all, How does one know what the birth cohort is for this year.? Has someone been to the register of Births in Bucks/Berks to get this info?

Post by Guest »

The size of the cohort was published by Bucks CC themselves a few months back when they were threatening to change the catchment of the two Challoners Schools. I vaguely recall that it was roughly 2,800 for 2005-6, and about 300-400 less for this coming year and the next two years, so it is very likely that a number of grammars will be under-subscribed in future.

Etienne may still be able to find the link on the Bucks website?

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now