Nfer Non-verbal reasoning test format

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SB

Nfer Non-verbal reasoning test format

Post by SB »

My child is taking the selection test in a grammar school that follows the Nfer format. The non-verbal paper contains 5 sections and for each section the alloted time is 10 minutes. My questions are:

1. Do the children get any break (say 2 mins or 5 mins) between each section?

2. How is the time for the practice questions allocated? The number of practice questions for each section is different. So how much time is allowed for the practice questions?

3. Do the answers to the practice questions in anyway influence/affect the overall results and ranking?

Thanks,
SB

Post by Guest »

Hi, could you please advice which school your child is trying for?

Many Thanks

Post by Guest »

Hi Guest,

It is for the Tiffin Boys at Kingston-upon-Thames.

Regards,
SB
haggis

Post by haggis »

Hi SB,
I believe they sit five sections of non verbal of 20 questions each with no rest, so you only get 30 seconds per question not including practice time.
My daughter is trying for tiffin girls I think the exam format is the same. H ave you got any info refrence the number of questions in trhe verbal test? Help appreciated.
11 plus tests

Post by Guest »

Hi Haggis,

That's interesting. The Nfer (that's what Tiffin schools follow) practice papers have 5 sections and 12 questions in each section excluding the practice questions. So, 60 questions in total and 50 minutes to answer them.

My confusion is due to the fact that in the practice papers at the end of each section's practice questions the instruction reads 'wait until you are told to proceed'. This is the case in every section. This is the main cause of my confusion and how do they manage on the test day with many children seated in a hall/class room.

So I basically need this point clarified whether the test is conducted for the 50 minutes in one stretch or wait and proceed after each section.

Regards,
SB
Ryan

Non-Verbal Reasoning

Post by Ryan »

Last year I did some Non-verbal reasoning entrance exams for grammar schools.

60 questions - 5 sections - each of 12 minutes. They take you through the examples at the top of each section before continuing, so the actual exam took about 20 more minutes than what the time on the papers states. It is not a 50 minutes straight through.

I would suggest that you use Nfer & Athey (mulitple choice) to practice with.

Post by Guest »

Hi Ryan,

That was a very valuable information and this is what I wanted know. Your practical knowledge and inside info is really useful.

On the practice papers - I have multi-choice practice papers from Nfer, Athey, Bond, AFN and IPS.

Thanks again.

Regards,
SB

Post by Guest »

Hi Ryan,
Could you please advice which grammar schools did you set the exams at. Your help is appreciated.

Best Rgds
Rye

Post by Rye »

Hi, my mistake above. Its actually 10 minutes per section and 12 questions in each section for nfer non verbal reasoning. A few minutes at the begining of each section to undertand the instructions and look at the examples.

I sat for one independent school and three grammar schools (Dr. Challenors for Boys in Amersham, Queen Elizabeth for Boys in Barnet and WATFORD GRAMMAR FOR BOYS 8) )

Post by Guest »

If it's any help my son sat for 4 independents and 1 grammar last year. There is a break in that they have the practice questions at the beginning of each section which a teacher takes them through. Apart from this it's straight through.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now