Space and time ...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Susan

Space and time ...

Post by Susan »

How would you answer the question
What are the similarities between space and time?
This was asked of my DS at an assessment today. He didn't have an answer and I'm not sure I have either.

Any ideas?

Susan
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi susan,

similarities of space and time.........um...
neither has a beginning or end
neither can be seen or touched
neither can be altered by man
neither can be counted
both are concepts not objects.

I'm sure there are lots of posters with far more intellectual answers than mine, I just thought of thoses off the top of my head.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

I think that question might have fazed Einstein at 10 or 11 years of age. :roll:
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

You usually fill up the amount that you have!
SunlampVexesEel

Re: Space and time ...

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Susan wrote:How would you answer the question
What are the similarities between space and time?
Great Question!

I would go for dimensions.... Space is described by the ups downs lefts and rights forwards and backwards that give us 3D space... whereas time is also a dimension that we travel through. Put them to together and we get a 4D world and a model of position in time as well as space.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

How old is your DS? Is this an 11+ question or has he moved into GCSE/A levels? If the latter, then the answer might be related to the basic principles of General Relativity, black holes, etc...

How many other people still have A Brief History of Time unopened on their bookshelf...?!
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

This question is about much more than space and time. I would bet this is a big bursary/scholarship question.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Warks mum wrote: How many other people still have A Brief History of Time unopened on their bookshelf...?!
My dd has just asked for this for Christmas :shock: :shock: :shock:
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Someone said this question was about much more than space and time - yes maybe - ha ha - this would make it a very big question!

If this was an interview question at 11 to get into a selective school then and the child was completely stumped a good answer might be - "these two things have something in common - I don't know anything about either of them!" I would expect an inventive and thoughtful 11 year old to come up with the kind of thoughts that the first person to reply came up with.

I think we need original questioner to tell us what the "assessment" was in order to come up with more helpful answers to the question.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

perplexed wrote:Someone said this question was about much more than space and time - yes maybe - ha ha - this would make it a very big question!
Spacetime kept Albert et al. busy for quite a while.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati