45%
No, did no tutoring
14%

Total votes: 51

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
T.i.p.s.y

Did you pay for a tutor?

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

On the back of the radio programme I wanted to start a poll to see how many did/do tutor for independents and GS. I found the radio programme interesting and I do think the vast majority of parents tutor although a high percentage deny this.
moved

Post by moved »

I did both, home tutored for my daughter who really only needed materials and left my son to his own devices. Different personalities.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I home tutored my DS when he was 7 for scholarship tests, but only for 1 month. If he wasn't at boarding school I'd probably do some home-tutoring for his pre-tests but this is not logistically possible. It does depend on the child and a parents aptitude. I started him off by giving him some papers and if there was anything he didn't know I'd just teach him those topics. I couldn't tutor DS2 and I don't think anyone else could as there would be battles of the mind and he'd probably win! :roll:
moved

Post by moved »

This site will produce a bias towards home tutoring anyway as the parents who look through this site can find access to plentiful resources
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

moving wrote:This site will produce a bias towards home tutoring anyway as the parents who look through this site can find access to plentiful resources
I think you're right, but also because if parents are not going to home tutor/pay for a tutor there's very little need for them to visit this site unless they want advice on appeals.
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

my DS has maths tuition although we havn't gone down that route solely for the 11+ but more so because maths is his weaker subject and needed it to keep up at school.
I am home tutoring him for English and VR for 11+ , so which vote do I put down for?!!
bcookerblum

Post by bcookerblum »

My daughter had a tutor for four months. In her class everyone who was doing the 11+ apart from one child had a tutor( the teacher asked them, so everyone knew) and that one child was tutored by their parents. Surprised to hear that in my sons class there are several who have been tutored from yr3, I'd heard about that being done but didn't believe it! I will be home tutoring my son.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Unless as a parent you feel that you really aren't academically able to tutor in certain subjects to 11+, I have no idea why anyone pays. My friend pays for her son who is sitting a 7+ test - I mean surely she can teach him 7+ Maths and English!

Frankly, tutoring costs far too much. My other friend's son goes to a weekly class for 1.5 hours where he sits and does tests with 8 other kids and it costs her £30. If he is weak in some areas, the tutor then privately tutors them for £30 so that's £60 per week! :o I wish I had a teaching qualification! 8)

If children are being tutored from Year 3 (it does happen) then it's either a sign that they are in an appalling school or they actually shouldn't be at GS if they need such long-term coaching!
AB

Post by AB »

Unless as a parent you feel that you really aren't academically able to tutor in certain subjects to 11+, I have no idea why anyone pays. My friend pays for her son who is sitting a 7+ test - I mean surely she can teach him 7+ Maths and English!

There are many other reasons why parents are not able to tutor their own children; medical illness, unworkable working relationship as to 1 to 1 tutoring, work commitments,family commitments, to name but a few.

Yes, you will have no idea why anyone pays unless you ask them.
Start with your friend. :lol:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Fair enough about the points you mentioned but the vast majority don't have these issues apart from work issues. I know why my friend does it and its because she is NEUROTIC!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now