bucks and slough consortium

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
trio

bucks and slough consortium

Post by trio »

Hi
My daughter got 113-115 in bucks test we have the full support of her headteacher 1- 1 .In her cat tests she got v=117,q=125,nv=115 for year 5.
This year she got v=141,q=117,nv=129 she has a vsd a hole in the heart
and can get worked up under stressful conditions and she feels like she cannot breath is this a strong case.She has excellant school reports and teachers could not belive she not not pass .
She is in top sets for all subjects and has the full support of techers /headteacher.
For Herschel she got 108 but the headteacher will not support us for that
appeal after having already supported us on bucks ,she is closer to the pass mark,she said the school is oversubscribed and there would be no point.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Trio

Firstly I should point out that, if you have not already submitted your form for a Bucks appeal, you have missed the deadline, which was last Thursday.

The Head's ranking is good, and the discrepancy between the CATs score of 141 for VR (and 129 for NVR) and the end result of 113/115 works in your favour. Panels do not consider CATs to be a frim indictator of ability, but the considerable contrast between those two scores could be useful to you.

Any strong case is built on academic evidence, so hunt for that - reports, school work, etc.

On quite low scores you are definitely going to need all the academic evidence you can find, and the Head's 1:1 recommendation is a good start.

I can't advise you on the Herschel appeal, other than to say that you should not give up and look at the Berks section for more advice.

Sally-Anne
trio

Post by trio »

what about her medical condition do we have a case regarding her heart condition.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

You may have a case, but you must have very strong academic evidence as well.

You need to demonstrate clearly why the heart condition affected the 11+ result.

Sally-Anne
trio

high score but one of the oldest in year

Post by trio »

Hi question for Etienne is it worth mentioning on the appeal day that our child achieved a high mark but not enough a mere some 6 points away all by herself and was not awarded any extra marks for age disadvantage
like other younger children who scored low were awardedextra points for being younger and of an age disadvantage. Also we just got the panel documents back and have studied the evegelators notes which show there were about 15 distractions 7 planes flying over, 3 times children outside making noise where the teacher had to go out to tel them that there is an exam in progress and 1 child fainted and another one was feeling dizzy and some other minors events is it worth mentioning this as it is all documented as our child needs 110% concentration otherwise she loses concentration and thus time and points. You know the rest
pls comment
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I don't think that the standardisation is worth arguing over unless your child was very premature (over two months).

The distraction are worth a mention especially if these would have affected your child more than most.

How accurate were the HT predictions? Did all the 1:1s qualify except your child?
trio

Post by trio »

Hi thanks for your reply her ht predictions were very high 141-129 and only 8 people passed in the bucks exam hope this helps she was actually one of the oldest pupils sittint the exams as her b'day is end of October , the distractions were shocking its a list on two full A4 size papers
regards
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What I meant was on the case papers you should have a table showing how many of the HT predicted '121+' actually qualified.

There should be a table like the one on page 19 of the HT booklet:

https://schoolsweb.buckscc.gov.uk/schoo ... r_2009.pdf
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear trio

I know that 115 is above average, but with the pass mark set at 121 I'm afraid a panel won't consider 115 to be a particularly high score. They will in fact view a shortfall of 6 marks as being rather a lot. This is why Sally-Anne rightly advised that you're going to need all the academic evidence you can muster to convince a panel. As Guest55 implies, if the vast majority of the headteacher's "1's" qualified, it would suggest that she is accurate with her recommendations, and this would strengthen your case.

I'm also sorry to confirm that talking about age standardisation will get you absolutely nowhere. As far as the panel will be concerned, your daughter's marks were standardised correctly for her age.

It is worth mentioning the distractions, especially as they appear to have been well-documented. If you have written medical evidence not just of the fact that your daughter has a heart condition but of how she would have been affected in the stressful conditions of an 11+ (with lots of distractions going on), it will help your case.
Etienne
trio

Post by trio »

thanks for your remarks will tread carefully on the issues mentioned