Langley Appeals - Twins

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hkgill

Langley Appeals

Post by hkgill »

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help me. I have twins DSs one scored 120 and the other 111 for LG. What are the odds for the second one to get through an appeal. Does anyone know or have an expeirence with twins.....please help.
The other thing is that the unjustified length of time we have to wait to appeal (if we want to) knowing 100% that he will not be offerred a place. Any tips.......is the twinsmum able to help???
AnxiousMum
capers123

Re: Langley Appeals - Twins

Post by capers123 »

hkgill wrote:Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help me. I have twins DSs one scored 120 and the other 111 for LG. What are the odds for the second one to get through an appeal. Does anyone know or have an expeirence with twins.....please help.
The other thing is that the unjustified length of time we have to wait to appeal (if we want to) knowing 100% that he will not be offerred a place. Any tips.......is the twinsmum able to help???
Hi,

Firstly length of time until you can start an appeal. It is frustrating, but until the National Allocation Day, no-one has been allocated a place. If you were allowed to appeal now, then what about borderline cases, who won't know until March - they could then find themselves at a bigger disadvantage as your appeal would have been heard & decided upon, so less chance of their appeal succeeding. This way is fairer to all concerned, but does cause a lot of tenterhooks.

I have heard an appeal where one twin had a place, but the other had not. I seem to remember that we did allow it, but the second twin had passed the exam, so it wasn't a non-qualification appeal. I don't know your area, so can't give you an odds for success.

Have you got any academic evidence that 2nd son should have passed?
Capers
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear hkgill

I see your son has reached the (minimum) qualifying score.

I would have thought it depends on what sort of evidence you would be putting forward.

See B24 and then Section C:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php

Difficult to read the mind of this particular IAP ......
Etienne
hkgill

Post by hkgill »

Many Thanks to both your replies.
He is predicted 555 for Sats, his CAT score was 124. He got 119 for Bucks and 114 for SG.
He reading age is 13.8yrs and very-verygood in computers and sometimes we have to ask his help in formatting if we are stuck on word and ppt (my husband is in IT and I am manager in the NHS and do a lot of reports!!)and inventing new models with his thousands of minute pieces of lego.
They are both is separate classes in the school as we encouraged their independent growth, however, everytime they have gone on an overnight school trips he, his brother (and us) for his sake have always had them in the same rooms. He wants to feel that DS1 is around. He only has two friends in his school who have both been unsuccessful, he doesnt make friends easily as he has limited extra-curicular interest - no football, hockey, cricket....only legos and cards (not very good I think for an appeal!). He is a keen swimmer. Another problem is that he has voiced being alone in a new school having DS1 with him since conception!
Another reason is the practicalities with coping with two different schools for the same age, having twins is very expensive anyway it will add to our cost of school trips (we have been successful in getting some concession at the primary school) and coping with homeworks not mentioning preparing for 11+!!!! It is not exactly that he has failed or couldnt cope witha GS as his teacher has assured us that he can as he is bright. HT will support as well.
AnxiousMum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear hkgill

It's not clear to me (and probably anyone else!) how the panel will deal with the academic side of things. They should of course accept that your son has "qualified", but will they be interested in evidence that he should have scored more highly, and therefore reached a score that would have guaranteed a place? My feeling is, if you have some good supporting academic evidence, there's no harm in enclosing it. Do you think he "underperformed" because of the pressure that came with fear of not succeeding?

The oversubscription part of your case is probably going to be the crucial bit. I note what you say, but would want to see some hard evidence, e.g.
  • - At the very least, a letter from current school confirming how difficult it has been for your son to make friends, how important it is that he should not be separated from his twin.

- Proof of concessions for school trips

- A detailed explanation - with timings - of the logistical problems you would face with the boys at different schools
You need to understand that, as with all appeals, the odds are against you. However, if you can put together some good evidence, and if you have a reasonable panel, I would guess your chances of success to be around 30% or more. With those odds it would be well worth a try!
Etienne
hkgill

Post by hkgill »

There is a strong belief on our part that he underperformed sheerly due to DS1 doing well each time they did a test paper at home. He would comment 'I am not as good as him' or 'I am not clever' or even 'I am not doing well anyway', his fear of not passing stemmed from their comparing notes, (which was unavoidable..) though he was scoring a good score. He certainly was under a great pressure as knowingly or unknowingly he was being compared with DS1 after each Practice Test.....but how do you prove these things.
AnxiousMum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I agree it's not easy to prove this specific point, but if you explain the background, giving the exact details of what he said, then I think most panels would understand how the pressure built up - especially if the school will confirm how well the other twin has tended to do.

I raised the matter because I guessed this might be the case. I'm usually wary of "assertions" and you mustn't overdo it (i.e. be more categorical than "It is our strong belief"), but I feel it's an argument you should put forward.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now