Help any one

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Help any one

Post by Guest »

Can anyone recommend anything for a VR test that is set by the school itself. The format is written writing words, underling and circling etc to give the answer. Would practising the HIKNOS be advised.

Cheers
Cath
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Hi

This is a difficult question to answer.

You probably need to give a bit more information, such as the name of the school and the area of the country you live in.

From this information you may get responses from parents/tutors who have experience of preparing children for the test you refer to.

Regards

Mike

Post by Guest »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your advice.

It is Sutton Grammar school, but although I have posted there, as well well as other numerous parents noone reponds.

The school does not provide much info either other than they are written by the school and answers for the vr have to be written.

Cathy
Karen

Post by Karen »

Dear Cath

Please see my latest post under Surrey.

The VR exam at Sutton Grammar is Multiple choice and based on Nfer Nelson although the actual tests are witten by the school. I think Wallington boys use the format you have mentioned. The admission secretaries at both schools are very helpful if you want to check direct.

Karen
Karen

Post by Karen »

Dear Cath

I have just checked the Wallington Grammar website and they use underlining and writing directly on the answer sheet and Sutton it is Multiple choice.

You need to decidde which school your child is going to apply for as you can only sit one test. However at the recent transfer to high school meeting they said that Wallington will accept Suttons test but i dont think wallington will. The whole thing is academic both schools are very over subscribed and i know plenty of boys who have passed at sutton who still don't get a place.

Good luck

Karen
Stephen McConkey

VR material

Post by Stephen McConkey »

Dear Cath

You might want to have a look at the Learning Together epapers and CD available on this site. The Learning Together VR material includes questions that are a bit more difficult and are presented in a variety of ways.
Hope this helps
Stephen

Post by Guest »

Thanks Stephen,

I may try these tests. Its a bit more diificult when tests are written by the school itself. I wish they just said NFER type etc.

Cath
Charmaine

Kendrick

Post by Charmaine »

Hi All,

My daughter is getting about 96% in her VR and 78% in her NVR. She absorbs everything but then gets nervous and forgets it when I give her a test. I would like to know if her marks are good for the Kendrick standard?

Thanks,
Charmaine
RR

Post by RR »

Charmaine,
I think for Kendrick 85%, should make it. 90%+ should be the aim. But each year cohorts are different, so each year the standard varies. My friends daughter sat it last year and got in around seventies. I was told she was averaging between 85%-90% on the nfer standard papers.

Good Luck.

RR
Charmaine

Kendrick

Post by Charmaine »

Hi RR,

Thanks for the tip, my daughter sometimes gets 80-85% in her NVR but its mainly in her late seventies.

Anyway, thanks for the advice it's all happening next week so hope she gets through!

Charmaine