Mike to Patricia

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mike Edwards

Mike to Patricia

Post by Mike Edwards »

Hope the subject title is intriguing enough for people to access this link.

Patricia has clear views on the content of NFER VR papers and we are in general agreement. This is a Dear Patricia Letter.

Dear Patricia

I, as an anxious parent (not true), have accessed this site recently. I was interested to see that there are free download papers available from Nelson Thornes called Bond Assessment papers.

I downloaded an 11+ Verbal Reasoning Practice Paper and gave it to my 10 year old son to complete (that's not true). He really struggled with some of the questions, because he said that he had not seen them before.

(for purposes of political correction my son is now my daughter)

Imagine my surprise when she pointed out that the following questions did not appear on the NFER familiarization papers that I had previously given her.

Q. 11-15

Q. 16-20

Q. 21-25

Q. 26-30

Q. 31-36

Q. 42-51

Q 52-56

Q. 57-61

Q. 62-65

Q. 66-70

Q. 71-75

Q. 76-79

Q. 86-90 (NFER are not this difficult)

Q. 91-95

Q. 96-100

That is a total of 75 out of 100 questions that do not (?) appear on standard NFER papers (excluding Bucks).

I think that my son who is now my daughter is very clever to bring this to my attention. What do you think.

Yours tutorially

Mike

The questions were written by Bond around 1988 and were published independently, Nelson Thornes have only recently taken over the publishing rights.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Maybe its late maybe I am nfer[rd] out, but took me several readings of your letter to 'get it'

Are we on the same wave length that nfer would appear to publish the verbal reasoning tests for most of the country and yet there are so many other publishers around offering VR but they do not seem to mirror the 'real' nfer tests that most of our children are taking?

Comments please!
Last edited by patricia on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Dear Patricia

Just been watching John Peel Night with partners twenty-five year old son, enjoyed Thin Lizzy's Whiskey in a Jar'o.

Yes, we "get it", but how many "amateur parents" do?

With the exception of NFER there isn't another publisher who provides VR papers close to the real thing, either authors live in the past or live in Bucks!!, the exception is ips minus hiknos.

Lost!!

yours intuition

Mike
paricia

Post by paricia »

dear mike [and anyone else out there]

LET THE FLOOD GATES OPEN!!!!

regards patricia

ps just to make it quite clear - for bucks you do include hiknos [thought you were talking greek to me when i saw 'minus hiknos' must be tired! LOL [to those without teenage children that means laugh out loud!!]
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Dear Patricia

IPS minus HIKNOS = NFER

My partners twenty-five year old son has just returned from Spain and is now living with us, please help!!

Kindest regards

Mike
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

If a poor unsuspecting parent were to spend their hard earned money purchasing something claiming to be 11+ verbal reasoning preparation papers and they find that 75% of the paper purchased does not match what is currently accepted to be the content of present 11+ entrance tests would the purchaser have any complaint under the Trades Description Act?
patricia

Post by patricia »

I am no expert on the rest of the country but you seem to know a lot about the wirral and other areas

I know the bucks system inside out and back to front so what can we do about it?

PLEASE NOTE - this thread between mike and patricia is not our own personal 'chat room' it is open to all

Patricia
Last edited by patricia on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hijack this thread (don't how to contact you otherwise!). Yesterday I downloaded The Tutors Verbal Reasoning Paper 3 from this site. The answer sheet (page 10) does not belong to the questions on this paper. Please check it and post a reply. I can mail you (if you would provide the eamil address) the downloaded pdf file if you want.

BTW, I have also posted the same message in another thread as a desparate attempt to get hold of the author Mike who I think wrote those papers.

Regards,
SB

Post by Guest »

Sorry for interrupting this thread. Contacted 11plus and it is resolved now. I have now downloaded the one with the correct answers.

Regards,
SB
forumadmin
Site Admin

THE TUTOR VERBAL REASONING PAPER 3

Post by forumadmin »

Dear SB and others,

Our apologies, as the software had a glitch. Those who downloaded The Tutors Paper 3 Verbal Reasoning Practice Paper before 27th October should re-download as the original paper was attaching the incorrect answer sheet. This problem has been remedied.

Kind regards,

Administrator
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now