Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
trio

headteacher support

Post by trio »

Hi

Was just wondering if anyone is in the same postion as me headteacher
supports with a 1-1 for bucks appeal but will not support for hershel
saying there is no point that my daughter has no chance of getting in unless she got the pass mark. It is still the same child why support for
one appeal and not the other?
chad

Post by chad »

What were the scores......it may be that the teacher may feel that the Herschel mark is too far away to have a chance of succeeding......consortium appeals do not have a large success rate apparently.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I take it the head's view is that there's no chance at Herschel, so no point appealing. I think that the only justification for refusing should be that there's not enough evidence to support an appeal. Unfortunately there's no easy way of obliging the head to co-operate. You could consider kicking up a fuss, but it might be wise to wait until after the Bucks appeal. :)

The issue of unco-operative heads is discussed in the appeal Q&As (B20) - but in the context of opposition to selection.

You could probably use the support that the head gives for Bucks, although it would mean revealing that you have appealed elsewhere.
Etienne
trio

Post by trio »

Hi
My daughters scores were closer for Hershel only 3 away from pass mark
and she totaly supports for bucks she may see it as a waste of time but i don't. Her last cat scores were verbal npr=99, non verbal npr=97 and quantitative npr=87. Is there any point in going ahead with appeal without
support?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I think it would be worth appealing, but you'll probably have to use the Bucks "headteacher summary sheet" as it will be difficult to win an appeal without any sort of reference from the headteacher.

A reasonable panel will understand the illogicality of what the head is doing.

Please note that any advice I give can only be based on the assumption that you will have a reasonable panel - I cannot claim to read the mind of your particular panel.
The average success rate of appeals conducted by foundation schools in Slough is unlikely to be as good as that for appeals organised by BCC (something chad may have been hinting at!).

I know you were advised to post here - and it was well worth doing so to see if anyone in Berks had advice for you - but I would have missed your post had chad not alerted me. If you have any further questions you would like me (or Sally-Anne) to address, please return to your thread in Appeals.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now