Area of hexagons

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Kent mum

Area of hexagons

Post by Kent mum »

Could anyone help with areas of hexagons. In particular the question in NFER Maths 11 D paper. We can get the area of the rectangle in the middle as 2xy but then they don't give the height/width of the two triangles on either side. Are we presuming that it is a regular hexagon, made up of six equilateral triangles and therefore 12 rightangled triangles with an area of 1/4xy? Any help appreciated?
Maths Man

Post by Maths Man »

What question number in NFER Maths 11D?
kent mum

area of hexagons

Post by kent mum »

Sorry - it was Bond 11+ Test 4 question 2 -
di

Post by di »

I don't have the question in front of me, but if the hexagon is regular, and you have the length of one sid and the distance between two opposite sides you can do it this way:

Starting from the middle of the hexagon, divide the hexagon into 6 equal sized equilateral triangles, each having one apex at the middle of the hexagon. Each equialter al triangle has an are that is 1/2 base x height . Then areal of hexagon is 6 times that
ik

area of a regular hexagon

Post by ik »

You need to divide the hexagon into one triangle at the top and another triangle at the bottom , with a rectangle in the middle.

so you calculate the area of the rectangle which is ( length times the width)

Then get the area of each triangle, which is ( 1/2 of base times height). the height must be penpendicular to the base.

Then add the area of the rectangle to the area of both triangles

Hope this helps.

ik
ik

area of hexagon

Post by ik »

Di

I am sorry I did not see your reply.

ik