maths

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

maths

Post by Guest »

I understand that the Kent maths paper will now be 80 questions in 50 mins. this January. Is this correct? What practice papers can we use? NFER papers are usually used in Kent, but these have only 50 questions per test, so obviously the whole format will be different.

Post by Guest »

Hi,
could you clarify the source of your information - our son will be sitting Kent so we are interested in this too?

as for format, I don't think it follows that they will be very different in format just because there may be more questions. I understand that NFER can set whatever the Education Authority asks, and there are lots of question banks which can be used.

Can I also suggest you repost this on the Kent forum. It's dead as a dodo, but you never know, you may spark some interest!
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Hi

If the Kent 11+ Maths test is set by NFER it is highly likely that they will use the question set that is contained within their own pracice papers or familiariation papers if they are provided. There are approximately 60 different questions that can be grouped into about 24 categories, e.g pie charts, bar charts, pictograms, three different types of questions, but all three cateorised as data handling.

As far as question practice is concerned it does not matter initially how long the practice papers are as long as the student is able to complete them and has the correct methods, technique and knowledge in place.

The Tutors 11+ Maths CD contains 1400 questions, 900 standardised to the NFER practice papers and 500 based on standard mental arithmetic and algebra. The questions are self timing, and self marking and you can complete as many tests as you want as often as you want. You will therefore be able to assess how long your child is taking to answer individual questions or sets of questions and how accurate they are. You can also observe improvements in time and accuracy as tests are repeated.

Regards

Mike
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now