Slough 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JuliaB

Slough 11+

Post by JuliaB »

My son did the Slough 11+ at St Bernards. I was alarmed at how many parents there were at pick up time - one of the staff told me there were 202 children sitting the exam that day. If there were 200 at each of the other three Grammars, plus (?) who actually sat the exam in their own schools, that's an awful lot of children.......! :shock:

Julia
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

There are about 145 year 7 places in Langley and Slough grammar, 120 in Herchel and St Bernards. That's about 540 places. In theory, about 25% pass, so overall there may over 2000 applicants.
JuliaB

Post by JuliaB »

Only 25% pass? I had no idea it was such a small percentage. I have heard of so many people who have been using formal tutors (some for a long time) for this year - I am sure more are expecting to pass?

Interesting figures though Catherine, thank you.

Julia

Post by Guest »

which non-verbal type questions came up this year?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi guest,

It is possible that not all the tests are over. Giving away the NVR questions could give an unfair advantage to lake takers.

Best wishes

Catherine

Post by Guest »

are you sure the results come out next week dont they surely people can still not be taking the test

Post by Guest »

please reply to my question when you are sure that they are over, if thats ok . i dont know about the secrecies of the eleven plus but find people are very reluctant to talk about it.

how about last year does any one know what came up in non- verbal reasoning ?

thanks

Post by Guest »

Hi JuliaB

For more than 25% to pass the tests you would have to assume that the pass mark is set before the tests are taken.

This is not the case.

Each year the cut-off point or pass mark is determined by the cohort taking the test. So in theory each year the cut-off point can be different.

Regards
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Anonymous wrote:i dont know about the secrecies of the eleven plus but find people are very reluctant to talk about it.

how about last year does any one know what came up in non- verbal reasoning ?
This site and the forum members are trying their best to make the 11+ process as transparent as possible. However, knowing the two NVR question types would give a big advatange to late takers.
Children who are sick on the official day and children moving into the area late in Year 6 take their test later. I don't know if they take the same test, but it is very likely.
There has been a long discussion on the Bucks forum in 'Aren't Bucks parents cheating ?' about similar issues.
It may be best to ask again next July at the end of this academic year. You will still have lots of time before the exam.

I will quizz my son about last year questions, but don't hold your breath, I don't expect him to remember.
Angela

Post by Angela »

how would knowing what came up in this years 11plus help fpr next year? Even knowing the types of questions for this year does not help!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now