change of preference re CAF

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
onwardandupward

change of preference re CAF

Post by onwardandupward »

We placed a school in herts first on our list but have subsequently been sent a letter from the school we placed second, telling us that our child is on their list for a music place. We would like to take this as the school is nearer with a much easier journey particularly re after school activities but Admissions say we can't change our minds. It's a voluntary aided school with music scholarships. Is it usual for special aptitude place schools to offer early and does anyone out there have experience or advice on this?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I don't think anyone is allowed to make early offers, it sounds like a qualification result.

You could try discussing the matter with the school but I don't think you can do anything until after allocation day. :?
WP

Post by WP »

The school doesn't know your preferences, so I would imagine this means your child was in the top 18 or 21 (depending on the school) music scores of their applicants -- congratulations. A bit naughty of them to be sending such letters, though. (Not a school near the border by any chance?)

Herts do allow you to change your preferences for continuing interest (waiting) lists, but with VA schools this will depend on the school. Some put new preferences after the old ones; some combine them. But if this school was keen to chase you they may be prepared to accept you onto their CI list with the others, so you'd be waiting for the first refusal by anyone who was offered a music place.
watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

Hi onwardandupward,

Just out of interest was your second choice a school in Herts. I have not heard of anyone in Herts who applied to SW consortium schools receiving a letter and know many who had an audition. :?
onwardandupward

changing caf preference

Post by onwardandupward »

the second school is in westminster and has 6 music places. i think we'll just have to wait and see what we're offered and take it from there,
watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

Congrats to your child for doing so well :D
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Does Westminster offer on 1 March like everyone else?

If so, you'll just have to hope that you don't get offered a place at school choice 1, or that if you do you will get into school 2 via their waiting list, or appeal.

Good luck!

When you get your offer, if it is school choice 1 remember to:

1. Accept school choice 1

2. Apply immediately to go onto the waiting list for choice 2 - you could even send them a letter now to go onto their waiting list as soon as they start it (on offer day)

3. Appeal immediately for school choice 2 (on offer day) - technically you should wait to hear that school 2 has not offered you a place before you appeal, but in reality you can usually just go ahead

This way you can appeal down your choices but without losing the place at school choice 1. Don't reject the place at choice 1 until you have a place elsewhere that you have accepted and that you prefer