Information Available to Panel

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Johnjs

Information Available to Panel

Post by Johnjs »

Firstly just to say am finding this forum very useful - many thanks. My question is this: I wanted to understand if panels - our appeal is for Bucks 11+ - are likely to have visibility of the children's previous test scores - CATS, SATS tec - independently of what the school/parents provide? Many thanks, John.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No - unless the HT includes it in their report - any SATs results are best submitted on headed paper or in an 'official' school report to authenticate them.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi johnjs

The panel only have the information that you, the parent, submit about your child. That will include the Head's appeal summary sheet, but no more than that. The school does not submit any information about your child directly.

The only caveat is that, if the LEA rep sees a significant discrepancy or an issue in the case documents that needs more information, s/he can ring the school to discuss it. That happened in a case I was involved with last year where the Head had clearly made a rather large error in the predicted SATs on the summary sheet, and it was pointed out by the parents in their letter to the panel.

I should mention that in that case the LEA rep's investigation strongly backed up the point that the parents made in the letter, and the rep was most forthcoming about it, and in an entirely positive way. Indeed, he probably won the appeal for the child concerned.

The LEA reps may be the "opposition" at an appeal, but the experience of Bucks parents is generally that they are absolutely fair.

Sally-Anne

P.S. Guest55 has, as ever, nipped in and left a pithy response whilst I type my plodding essay! Still, you get two-for-the-price-of-one, which seems to be fairly standard these days. :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would also suggest you do not give partial scores for CATs e.g only quote the results you like!! This will not impress the panel.

I agree about the LA rep - in our appeal he backed us up when the panel didn't understand the data we presented and got cross with them!!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I sense an outbreak of unanimity! :D

My experience of Bucks LA reps was that, almost without exception, they were very fair, gave factual information only, and did not set out to undermine the parents' case.
Etienne
Johnjs

Post by Johnjs »

Thanks very much for the quick reply from you both!

One further question: it seems that on last year's figures, a fairly high proportion of appeals at 120 for Bucks were upheld (>70%). I was wondering if there is a couple of typical reasons why appeals at 120 don't get through. Perhaps because the other mark was significantly lower, causing suspicion as to whether the 120 was a fluke, plus wider evidence not compelling enough?

Interested in your views on this point.

Thanks again, John.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear John

Yes, it might be that the other mark was lower, and the panel decided the evidence as a whole suggested the lower mark was a better indicator of ability.

I've also heard of cases where the panel took the view that 120 represented the child's "peak". (Very good curriculum work and good KS2 predictions - the result of conscientious effort and good teaching - but uninspiring CAT scores. Too many comments such as "very hardworking" can be damaging - better to have a "quick brain" and "considerable academic potential"! )

Panels are not meant to give the benefit of the doubt. Even with a score of 120, they have to be convinced the child should have qualified.
Etienne
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Message removed by Ambridge - apologies
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

‘Very good curriculum work and good KS2 predictions - the result of conscientious effort and good teaching’

Etienne,
Can I just jump in with a supplemental question here? How can an Appeals Panel judge whether a child’s good curriculum work and good KS2 predictions are the result of good teaching?

Without wanting to sound too adversarial, surely they don’t have the direct knowledge of individual teachers at a school that would qualify them to pass this judgment?

And if they’re making this judgment on the basis of a school’s reputation (rather than that of individual teachers), well I think that’s quite wrong. As we know only too well teaching standards within a generally high-achieving primary school can nevertheless vary hugely.

For example, DS had a brilliant Yr5 teacher, DD had one who was off much of the year with stress and was pretty hopeless when they were there…
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Rob

I may not have put that very clearly! I wasn't suggesting that a panel would set out to identify whether someone had been well taught.

My point is that a very conscientious child of above average (but not well-above average) ability, can come up with good SATs results - especially when well-taught. I'm pretty sure most panels are looking for more than this when hearing selection appeals.

Take the case of "Alice" as an example. Alice scored 120 and 117, has a “1:1â€
Etienne