Courses in Kingston

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Irene+

Courses in Kingston

Post by Irene+ »

Hi
Did anyone send their children to 11+ courses in Kingston that prepare to Tiffin school exam?
I would be interested in finding out what this courses are really like? Did they help your child?
Any insight or feedback would be useful.

Many thanks in advance for your comments.
geling

Post by geling »

Irene+: obviously you are quite new in this forum! Welcome to join us!
Unlike the other grammar schools in Surry which have English, Maths and Verbal Reasoning as their entrance exam, Tiffin school only tests 2 subjectts: Verbal and Non-Verbal. So, some tutors in Kingston will privide the tutoring emphasising on this two. It really depends on you if your child needs the extra help or not. Actually, we discussed the question you mentioned before ( on the second or the third page now), so, it may help you a bit if you could find and read them? Good luck.
Irene+

Post by Irene+ »

geling wrote: Actually, we discussed the question you mentioned before ( on the second or the third page now), so, it may help you a bit if you could find and read them? Good luck.
Could you give me a link for this discussion?
Thanks.
geling

Post by geling »

Oh, Irene+: There is thread-"Has anyone got into Tiffin without a tutor?" on the sencond page of this section under the author " Rosette". In it " some insight or feedback of private turoring " have been discussed. You may find they are helpful. Regards.
Irene+

Post by Irene+ »

geling wrote:Oh, Irene+: There is thread-"Has anyone got into Tiffin without a tutor?" on the sencond page of this section under the author " Rosette". In it " some insight or feedback of private turoring " have been discussed. You may find they are helpful. Regards.
Thanks, Geling, but "some insight or feedback of private turoring " is not exactly what I wanted to know. I've read that tread as well as all Surrey section - no mention of Kingston courses.

I'd like to get some feedback specifically on ********* courses in Kingston.

Removed by a moderatot as it breaks rules on advertising.
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Hello Irene+,

My ds took the Tiffin exam this year without a tutor. I've heard of one particular tutor who is meant to be very good, you can PM me and i will tell you who it is - but I don't know how to get hold of her.

Ive also heard of that company you mentioned - only by the brochures they gave out on the Tiffin open day. I looked on their website, and they seem to offer lots of past papers for maths and English, and only two of their own papers for VR, and non for NVR - where as Tiffins NVR is extremely hard. I also read their success rate somewhere, and it wasn't spectacular for Tiffin. If I find that link (it was on their website somewhere) I will send it you.

Best of Luck!
Irene+

Post by Irene+ »

JaysDarlin wrote:Hello Irene+,

My ds took the Tiffin exam this year without a tutor. I've heard of one particular tutor who is meant to be very good, you can PM me and i will tell you who it is - but I don't know how to get hold of her.

Ive also heard of that company you mentioned - only by the brochures they gave out on the Tiffin open day. I looked on their website, and they seem to offer lots of past papers for maths and English, and only two of their own papers for VR, and non for NVR - where as Tiffins NVR is extremely hard. I also read their success rate somewhere, and it wasn't spectacular for Tiffin. If I find that link (it was on their website somewhere) I will send it you.

Best of Luck!
JaysDarlin, thanks a lot for your reply.

So far I follow DIY approach.
I'm just not sure we can cover all the aspects of preparation. What if I miss something?
That's why I thought courses might be helpfull addition to DIY (and less expensive) .
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Less expensive? I wouldnt have expected it to be less expensive.

I personally wouldnt trust anyone with my child's 11+ unless they spoke the same 11+ language as me, knowing the 21 types. And in my experience not many tutors do. You DO have expecptional ones like the tutors that are on this site.

I think this site is great - you can find out if your mssing anything from here.