Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 9

*dad*

Bucks Appeal

Post by *dad* »

Firstly good luck to all of you who have your appeal hearing over the next days and weeks.

We were lucky (I think) enough to get an early date and have just returned from ours. It was in no way as daunting as we had imagined.

So its the final stage of the waiting game for us - results of the appeal by post "within 7 days" how very 20th Century!!!!

*Dad*
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi *Dad*

A poll! On Appeals!! Whatever next!!! :shock:

Glad that you felt your hearing was a reasonable experience - the Bucks panels do try to be nice.

As your appeal was today, the clerk will probably do the paperwork on Monday, and post the letters out first class. You are likely (but not guaranteed) to get the letter as early as Tuesday.

I certainly wouldn't favour text, because the letter contains quite a lot of information - why the appeal was upheld or not, what happens from here, how to complain, etc.

I don't really see any reason why email should not be used, as it is now an option for school allocations on National Allocations Day. I think there would need to be some sort of address confirmation process though.

Good luck with the outcome of your appeal - do let us know the result.

Sally-Anne
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

‘I certainly wouldn't favour text, because the letter contains quite a lot of information - why the appeal was upheld or not, what happens from here, how to complain, etc.’

That’s interesting, Sally-Anne.

I assumed, as a first timer, that we just got a simple yes or no – do the Appeal panel have to supply reasons for the outcome of the Appeal, then?

What sort of comments do they make?
Last time Mum

Post by Last time Mum »

Hi Rob

As someone who has been to a appeal twice already and about to go for the third time I can tell you exactly what the letters say as I have had one failed and one successful appeal!

The unsuccessful appeal letter reads along the lines of " The review panel carefully considered your case and felt , on the basis of the parents' and the Headteachers submissions that an upper school was still the most appropriate placement. You do however have the right of appeal." Enclosed is a leaflet called "Publication of Allocations" with full details.

The successful letter reads " I am pleased to inform you that your appeal was successful. the panel considers (name of child) suitable for a grammar school education. The panel is satisfied that, taking account of all the circumstances in your particular case, and by reference to ability and aptitude, your child has met the criteria for selection."

Hopefully it will be third time lucky for me although I may get the outcome of mine on Friday 13th February :(

Good Luck to everyone with their appeals

Ana
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The unsuccessful appeal letter reads along the lines of " The review panel carefully considered your case and felt , on the basis of the parents' and the Headteachers submissions that an upper school was still the most appropriate placement. You do however have the right of appeal." Enclosed is a leaflet called "Publication of Allocations" with full details.
This looks like an old Review Panel letter!

I would expect the current letter for an unsuccessful appeal against non-qualification to be more detailed, e.g. "The panel took into account the following points that you made ........"

The Code of Practice says:
The panel must ensure that the letter is expressed clearly without the use of jargon, to enable parties to:
a) see what matters were taken into consideration;
b) understand what view the panel took on questions of fact or law which the panel had to resolve; and
c) know broadly on what basis the appeal panel reached its decision and, in the case of the unsuccessful party, enable them to understand why they did not succeed.
The last part of (c) might be a bit vague in practice. I can imagine situations where parents think their academic evidence was rather good, but the letter just says "The panel did not feel that the academic evidence was strong enough .....".
Etienne
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Had two unsuccessful appeals last year and received letters as described by third time appeal mum. They were standard letters and had no reference to our specific case except to mention our DD's name. I did press an officer for feedback by telephone, and was told that the panel considered us to have no "needs," i.e. we just wanted a place. It really upset me, and I asked her to repeat it, just to make sure that was what was said. Nothing was ever put in writing.
Bouga
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

They were standard letters and had no reference to our specific case except to mention our DD's name.
I don't believe these letters were satisfactory, Bougalou, or that they met the requirements of the Code of Practice (whichever one was in force at the time - although the wording in the Code is tighter from 1st March 2008 onwards).

The better authorities are continually refining the wording of their decision letters.

Following yesterday's discussion a parent has kindly sent me a decision letter they received (last year?) which in my view meets the requirements of the Code. I reprint it here with their permission, omitting only the child's name.
I am writing to inform you of the decision of the recent Independent Appeal Panel. I am very sorry to have to inform you that the appeal was unsuccessful.

What the Independent Appeal Panel had to decide
As you know, the Local Authority requires children to score 121 or more in its Verbal Reasoning Tests (VRTs) to qualify for a grammar school place. In the light of the fact that *** scored less than 121, the Independent Appeal Panel (IAP) had to decide whether there was nonetheless sufficient evidence to indicate that *** is academically suitable for grammar school.

What evidence the Independent Appeal Panel took into account

The IAP at your selection appeal took into account the fact that *** did not achieve the qualifying score of 121 in the VRTs. The IAP then carefully considered information submitted by the Local Authority and all the information you submitted in support of your appeal, either in writing and/or in person at the appeal. The IAP also took into account whether there were strong reasons for not achieving the minimum qualifying score of 121 in the VRTs. The evidence weighed up by the IAP included the predicted SATs scores, school work, and the head teacher's letter and summary sheet. The panel noted that *** is described as diligent and conscientious. They also took into consideration the Educational Psychologist's report, and the fact that ***'s grandfather died in July.

Why the Independent Appeal Panel came to the decision it did

The IAP noted with care the supportive evidence provided by you. However, the panel did not feel that it was strong enough that it could be satisfied that *** is academically suitable for grammar school.

What will happen next
On or about 1st March your Local Education Authority will write to let you know of the outcome of your secondary school application. This application will take into account the result of your child's selection appeal and the ranking of your child's preferences as well as the published over-subscription rules. The IAP is aware that you will be disappointed by its decision but wishes *** every success in the future.

Yours sincerely

Clerk to the Independent Appeal Panel
Copy: The Admissions Team
Putting the outcome to one side - not an easy thing to do! - the parents thought this was a well written letter, clearly set out. They were least happy with the short paragraph "Why the Independent Appeal Panel came to the decision it did" - but that's the difficult bit!
Etienne