12+ how are we getting on

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rash

12+ how are we getting on

Post by Rash »

Hi all, just wanted to start this new thread as it seems that there is not much discussion re: 12+. It will be really helpful to know how people/children are finding the preparation comparing to the 11+? What is helping? any tips for others! What materials are being used etc.

Thanks

Rash
nicaukids

Post by nicaukids »

Hi Rash
Happy New Year!
You're right - keep popping on here to check for 12+ and not a lot going on :(
We've been doing similar to 11+ but with new resources (Bright Sparks) and some help from a friend with tutoring (cos I'm hopeless... and DS doesn't listen to me!)
His confidence and speed is improving all the time, so fingers crossed. We're giving him the option - he wants to take the test - but ultimately, it's down to him IF he wants to change schools (fingers crossed).
Bit rushed... hope this makes sense.
How are you doing ?
Nickyx
And of course, going through 11+ again next year with DD :shock:
Rash

Post by Rash »

Hi Nicky, Good to hear from you,
Happy New Year to you as well, hope 2009 will bring us more joy!!

I am having the same prob with my DD she is still in the holiday mood. It was her choice to sit the test but I just can't see her putting in the hours. She will only revise if she is asked to! I think it will get better once they are back at school (back in routine)

She has started the Tutors CD 2. She did a test today and got 15/85 questions wrong which is not good. Would you know how many question they can afford to get wrong out of 85. She will be 12yrs old in July 09.

Kind regards

Rash
I am in the same boat as you DD is sitting 11+ in 2009, Haven't even started with her yet
:roll:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Rash

She isn't that far off with 70/85. That is around 82%, and the pass mark for the 12+ will be somewhere around 83% - 86%. You should work on a minimum of 86% to be safe though, even with a July birthday.

My advice for the 12+ is to focus very clearly on two things:

a) Known problem types;

b) Speed - with 5 minutes less and 5 more questions, it is the big challenge.

From the test she has done, work out which question types are giving her the most trouble and go right back to basics on technique. Unless they are codes, use the Tutors CD1 to practice them intensively. If they are codes, then you are best off writing the questions from the CD down on paper for her because they are not easy to solve "on screen", and she really needs to be using both hands and the pencil to solve them accurately and quickly.

After some intensive practice on those types, set her another test and see if there is an improvement.

Sally-Anne
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear All

I am tutoring a 12 plus child at the moment. If you use any of the recognised publishers, [50 minutes 80 questions] I cut the time down to 42 minutes to take into account 85 questions in 45 minutes.

I am also only allowing notes to be made on a separate piece of paper. A section of this paper is lined off to put all questions numbers that the child is unsure of.

Patricia
Rash

Post by Rash »

Dear Sally-Anne and Patricia, thank you for the advise and working out the percentage that has given me great hope, knowing that she is not that far off. Her problem types are 11,12,13 and 19. We will try to concentrate on these the most and of course the timing as well.

Thanks Rash
nicaukids

Post by nicaukids »

Hi Rash & all
Have been doing half a paper at a time, and giving DS 21 mins (half amount of time Patricia suggested). Also using scrap paper :wink:

Last 2 complete test papers have been over 90%... Bit worried DS's peaked too soon :roll:

As soon as he's sat exam... we start prep for DD ...

Has your DD settled into study mode? KWYM about only revising if asked to!

Let's hope you're right about more Joy for '09.

Nicky
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Make sure you try to remind them about the difference in the anwer sheet.

Patricia have you any advice on this? To me its an 'extra' step ....
Rash

Post by Rash »

Hi Nikky, I was hoping that maybe back to school will mean back in routine. But, it’s been 3 days since she has touched anything to do with 11+. I have kind of left it up to her. But, I think I will soon be at the panic stage, if she carry’s on like this!! They just do not have that much time left.
I am please to hear that you are doing well! Was your DS a near miss? Sally-Anne does say that 18 months can make a huge difference to their knowledge and maturity.
Guest55 I think you are right the different method of recording can be a little confusing; I hope Patricia can come up with some tips, as always :)
TC
Rash
nicaukids

Post by nicaukids »

Thanks G55 - Tutor has made up answer sheets in similar format, so he's getting some practice in [unfortunately, I can't create something like that on the computer :( ]

Hi Rash - yes DS was 118 with hardly any prep ... Tried cracking the whip... but opted for an easier day to day life. SO wish I'd done it now and spared us all the heartache :)

Have you tried the online tests and games? Might get her back into the swing of it? Good luck
Nickyx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now