Exam day timing, what about lunch?!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Karen

Exam day timing, what about lunch?!

Post by Karen »

Hello everyone. I have just got my son's time for the test next week, which is for the afternoon session. As this is a while after breakfast and too early for lunch beforehand, has anyone got any tips on how to make sure that he has time to eat properly? I am thinking of doing a 'brunch' to make breakfast go a bit further. It's going to be a long day.....

Post by Guest »

Hi Karen,

My son sat in the afternoon for Kegs and we went for the full-English "Brunch" option (11:00 AM). They get a 15 minute break after the Maths and English and a lot of kids take high energy glucose tablets. My lad had a lucozade tablet. Could just be physiological but seemed to help with confidence.
Karen

Post by Karen »

Anonymous wrote:Hi Karen,

My son sat in the afternoon for Kegs and we went for the full-English "Brunch" option (11:00 AM). They get a 15 minute break after the Maths and English and a lot of kids take high energy glucose tablets. My lad had a lucozade tablet. Could just be physiological but seemed to help with confidence.
Thanks for that. My son is also for KEGS. They are providing refreshments during the break, but the glucose tablets are a good idea, too.

Regards
K

Post by Guest »

Karen,

Make sure he's used the bathroom before the exam and ask him to try and go in the break. You don't get any allowance if you put your hand up half way through asking to use the toilet. You'll be going on your own time!

Another thing is that there is an awful lot of chat at the break and many of the children will be giving it the full "that was really easy". Your son should remain calm. I've been through this 3 times and my children went to a school where 95% of their classmates sat the 11+, so they had a lot of school friends with them on the day. The ones who claim to have found it easy are the ones who should be worried. None of the papers are ever easy for any of the children but some children can have their confidence knocked going into the VR if they've listened too closely to what the other kids are saying. My advice is ignore it.

If your son doesn't go to a private school, he should be aware that a very large number of the boys, who come from the private schools will be wearing their uniform. Some state school children are intimidated by this. It's not done to intimidate, although many parents claim it is but to put the children by in "school" or "thinking" mode. Just be prepared for it and recognise that it doesn't disadvantage your son in anyway.

Have plenty of sharpened spare pencils.

Good luck. I'm sure he'll do very well!

Post by Guest »

I would just like to add to the comment about wearing school uniform. My daughter went to an Independent school. They arre advised to wear their school uniform as they are used to working whilst wearing it and they feel comfortable. Also, it gives confidence. If you turn up for a job interview in a suit, looking smart, it boosts your confidence. If you turned up to the same interview wearing your jeans and trainers, your attitude to that interview would be completely different.
Karen

Post by Karen »

Dear Guest,

Wise words indeed, thank you. My son doesn't attend private school. In fact, his primary school is against the 11+! I could suggest that he wears his school uniform to put him in 'school thinking mode', but he will probably say that's rather sad because it's not a school day!

Thanks again.
Regards

Post by Guest »

As an invigilator I've often wondered why the children wear school uniform - I appreciate the idea of them being work clothes, but for me they look more awkward and less relaxed.

One year, we made up a comedy 'real-11-plus' qualification based on stripes on blazer, uniform, names, badges on jumpers etc. You have to do something to keep you occupied I suppose.

The long break is after the Maths, before the VR, as many have said. At KEGS we provide orange squash and biscuits and we are often horrified at the rudeness with which some boys swipe great handfuls of bourbons. The main thing to emphasise is not to go to the loo during the VR. As soon as one asks (normally one who has 'finished', completing only half the paper) and then it becomes more and more hands up to leave. Just once no-one asked during the VR - I'm sure they must have done better. You really need every minute of that exam.
Karen

Post by Karen »

Thanks Guest (invigilator) for your helpful posting. I am confident my son knows exactly what he would like to wear on the day and it definitely won't be uniform, probably his favourite jeans and t-shirt. I think he's ready in all other respects. I have given him a mock test in exactly the order in which it will be done on the day (English, Maths, toilet break, VR) and I have given him a list of 'Top 10 Tips for a Terrific Test'.
He said to me this morning, "Only a week to go Mum". I panicked a bit as I thought he was getting nervous, so I calmly asked him, "Are you looking forward to it?" and he said yes!
I am very proud of his attitude to all the preparation he's been doing - especially given his school does not support 11+. He's taken a mature approach to it and has been keen to do the extra work. He's as prepared as he can be and we now hope it all pays off on the day.
One final question: He doesn't like orange squash, will he be allowed to bring his own drink with him? Oh, and I will remind him to remember his manners and not make a grab for the bourbons - even though they're his favourite!

Post by Guest »

Karen wrote:Thanks Guest (invigilator) for your helpful posting. I am confident my son knows exactly what he would like to wear on the day and it definitely won't be uniform, probably his favourite jeans and t-shirt. I think he's ready in all other respects. I have given him a mock test in exactly the order in which it will be done on the day (English, Maths, toilet break, VR) and I have given him a list of 'Top 10 Tips for a Terrific Test'.
He said to me this morning, "Only a week to go Mum". I panicked a bit as I thought he was getting nervous, so I calmly asked him, "Are you looking forward to it?" and he said yes!
I am very proud of his attitude to all the preparation he's been doing - especially given his school does not support 11+. He's taken a mature approach to it and has been keen to do the extra work. He's as prepared as he can be and we now hope it all pays off on the day.
One final question: He doesn't like orange squash, will he be allowed to bring his own drink with him? Oh, and I will remind him to remember his manners and not make a grab for the bourbons - even though they're his favourite!

I gave my daughter a bottle of water to take with her last year. Her school were anti 11+ also which didn't help and when she got in to CCHS the head didn't even say well done (even though she was in a small school and everyone knew who was going where). Don't worry about the uniform issue. My daughter was more interested in which uniform was the nicest colour!! She wore jeans, jumper and trainers and certainly didn't go in to the test with the wrong attitude because of what she was wearing! Each to their own I suppose! I do agree with the comment on not listening to other children in the break time. My daughter said there were some girls saying it was easy but she took no notice. Good luck to your son.
Karen

Post by Karen »

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. This forum has been marvellous in getting me through the 11+ !!! By using the ideas and suggestions made here, I feel I've been able to be of more help to my son because of it. I will still visit this site once it's all over, even if it's just to get some more support post 11+ or, indeed, give a bit back myself. In just over a week's time, I'll be able to think about what to do for Christmas - for a change....

To anyone who's thinking about 11+ for next year, this whole website is invaluable.

Keep in touch everyone.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now