Question for patrica on codes

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

josh

Question for patrica on codes

Post by josh »

Hi Patrica,
Just wondered if you can enlighten me on the correct method of doing the 2 codes questions

Q1. AB is to YZ as CD is to [ ]?

Q2 if the code for WINE is DRMY, What is the code for WHISKY?

My workings

A B C D E F..........W X Y Z A B C D.....
For Q1, I have used the standard method of counting from A to Y and from B to Z and using this method on CD becomes AB. This is not the right answer and possibly not the right methd. The correct answer is WX and the answer has been obtained by counting backwards but not sure why this method has been adopted.

Q2 Once again I have used the standard method of counting, and I have got WHISKY as DQHJDV which is incorrect. The answer is DSRHPB. This answer is obtained by splitting the letter sequence A B C D...Z into 2 halves i.e A B C...L and M N O...Y Z and use the standard method of counting.

My question is how does one spot and apply the correct method for these type of questions?
Any help would be appreciated

Josh
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Hi Josh

Late night for me, so hope you don't mind if I offer some help.

Q1

Add to the beginning of the alphabet UVWXYZ

Add to the end of the alphabet ABCDE

Giving

UVWXYZABCDE.........................UVWXYZABCDE

AB is to YZ
as
CD is to (?)

A to Y is back 2
B to Z is back 2

so

C back 2 is A
and
D back 2 is B

Correct answer is AB

Q2

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

If the code for WINE is DRMY, what is the code for WHISKY?
should be
If the code for WINE is DRMV, what is the code for WHISKY?

By counting in an equal number of places from the beginning and end of the alphabet.
A=Z
B=Y
C=X
D=W
E=V
F=U
etc

So WHISKY should be DSRHPB

How to spot them is really based on experience, the more you do the better you get.

The rolling alphabet in Q1 is something that every tutor teaches to every student.
If the rolling alphabet does not work then use the counting in method as for Q2.

Regards

Mike
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

Hi Josh,

In Q1 if AB is YZ then CD is WX and the next in the sequence would be EF is UV, what they have done is taken first 2 letters of alphabet=last 2 letters of alphabet, next 2 letters of alphabet=the next 2 last letters of the alphabet and so on, not sure if that makes any sense, and im not sure if you can give any advice to your child on how to spot the methods, i guess they will just have to try lots of different ways and hope for the best! :?

Good luck to your little one

Joanne
HB Mum

Post by HB Mum »

There are 2 different ways of solving Q1 and the correct one is found by looking at the 5 possible answers.

The first method is "counting" which gives the answer AB.

The second method is called "mirroring" and you must imagine a mirror placed between the middle letters of the alphabet i.e. M and N.
So AB (1st & 2nd postions from start) is the mirror image of YZ (2nd & 1st postions from end). This is why WX is the correct answer.

Another correct answer could be XW, but only one of these 3 possible answers will be given in the 5 choices.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Josh

The following link from the tips section may help you.....

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... .php?t=613

The second part of the first post explains the odd 'coming in from the end codes.

My second post on the thread is also useful for 'getting to know the alphabet'

Patricia
Josh

Post by Josh »

Firstly, many thanks Mike for your prompt response late last and also to Joanne, HB Mum and Patricia for their subsequent responses today.

My daughter sat for her test for Kendrick School today in VR and NVR (NFER) . She did not think this type of code questions appeared but on the whole she said that she could cope well with the tests. Now is the long, long wait for her results on the 1st March 2007.

A very big thank you to everyone on this web site for all their help and support provided.
Regards
Josh
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now