Non-selective schools North London/Herts

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Reader

Non-selective schools North London/Herts

Post by Reader »

Would be interested if anyone has any personal experience of private secondary schools (girls or mixed) that are not academically extremely selective (as so many seem to be) in N. London/Herts area but would suit an average child with good reasoning scores. Anybody else agree that all selective state schools should have a distance limit to give local children a better chance of getting in to a good local school and to prevent obsessive parents making their children travel ridiculous distances to school and back?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi Reader,

Firstly, what are your criteria for independent schools - would you consider boarding, how much are you willing to pay?

I'm not sure I agree with a catchment policy for GS. I also think that parents aren't over-obsessed who travel a long distance to send their child to GS. I would do anything to make sure my child was in the safest and nicest school environment and if I lived in London and couldn't afford private school I would travel a long way to give them that opportunity. One of the comps near our house has had 7 recorded knife incidents including one fatal stabbing in one year - would you call a parent over-obsessed for travelling a vast distance in order to find a better environment?
Reader

True, but...

Post by Reader »

I think that there is probably a suitable school for most children in under
an hour's travelling time. I am talking about the 1 1/2 - 2 hours of travel twice a day group. These children are only 11 when they start and homework can take a while, though I agree that that is preferable to
learning in a danger zone. BTW boarding school is out for the moment and budget is medium.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Is it the process of sitting the exam that you don't want or just that you feel she may not pass? I have heard that Mill Hill isn't that difficult to get into and although a great school I don't think St Albans is as selective as North London Collegiate or Habs girls. Zorro's son has got into Aldenham and he was at a state school but I'm unsure of his abilities. The schools I mention - are they in your area or do you live more east?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

St Margarets, which is seen as cosy and definitely not a hot house, is also happy to accept girls during Year 5 and 6 if they don't want to get caught up in the 11+ circus.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Hi Reader,
I would agree with Tipsy about Habs Girls and NLC.
My son has just started at Aldenham which has a ratio of 1 girl to 3 boys at present.My son has made friends with several girls and nearly all of them came from prep school whereas this is not the case with the boys which is 50:50 state/prep.
It is a lovely school and DS has settled in very quickly and is doing brilliantly academically.(He came from state primary)
Where do you live as they have a good coach service - my son has a journey of an hour each way but this is because they pick up lots of children en-route.The actual journey is only about 20 mins door to door by car.
I actually do agree with you about catchment areas for grammar schools as lots of local boys don't get places whereas boys from a long way away do.
Reader

Post by Reader »

All the schools mentioned are within reach from Barnet. Aldenham I felt had a low ratio of girls. Mill Hill I heard is becoming more difficult to get into and has the Saturday school which might not appeal. St. Margaret's is further away and I would like DD to have local friends. Would like some input from anyone with girls in local schools if poss. but thanks for the info so far.