Best GCSE results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rugbymum

Best GCSE results

Post by Rugbymum »

Looks like LSS is the top school in the country for GCSE results...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7827152.stm
magwich2

best GCSE results

Post by magwich2 »

Nooooooooooooo!!!!!
You mean the best "Value added score" !!
That is the one we are all trying to avoid!!
The score we all want to emulate is the a/as score which really means something.
Dadof3

Post by Dadof3 »

To clarify, the BBC link highlights LSS as the top performing school in the country for the APS (Average Points per Student) for [b]GCSE [/b]results. It also appears to have second highest CVA (Contextual Value Added) score.

Taking Magwich's point that A/AS is the more meaningful measure, then LSS is considerably lower down (page 13 out of 55 pages on Timesonline website). This measure has dropped significantly from 2007 results (929.7 in 2007 to 840 in 2008)

I wonder which tables will be posted in LSS reception next time I visit!!

As always negotiating league tables is a minefield.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

The reason that LSS and RHS figure further down the A/AS tables is because they have a much larger intake in Y12 as they (and Ashlawn) cater for the whole Rugby area (and beyond!!).

And Magwich, I assume you were joking? A high value added score is surely to be commended...

Edited to add: I consider the excellent results combined with the high value added to be an endorsement not only of the school but also of the 11+ method used to select those children. Presumably they were not all at level 5 on entry but their potential was identified via the (old) VR test...
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

The way the GCSE results league table has been put together does suggest that LSS is the top performancing school for GCSEs.

As for A/As, as someone has already explained, LSS's sixth form has to take on pupils from other local secondary schools which do not have sixth forms.
Sassie'sDad

Just shows how partial tabulated resuts can be

Post by Sassie'sDad »

I understand there are schools who routinely sit GCSE early (year) and know there are others who choose the IGCSE. To the best of my knowledge these schools appear to be doing very modestly compared to the rest, whereas they are really doing rather well.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

I think I'm right that Colyton GS is a school where everyone takes all GCSEs a year early. Maybe that's why its performance at that level was modest compared to LSS, but otherwise it seems to be coping quite well.
Loopy
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

I also read in the paper (and this might be complete codswallop!) that nvqs are worth more points that 3x GCSE A*s.

Subject/qualification choice might therefore have a large effect on points.

Apparently LSS average points per pupil = 13 x A*s + 38 points. Ridiculous!!
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

When I visited LSS last year, I was told that many do sit their GCSEs a year or so early....
magwich2

best GCSE results

Post by magwich2 »

I think LSS do quite a few AS levels in year 11 and then count each pass as 2 GCSEs. Might help to explain the numbers! They are frequently in soft subjects as well!
Regarding GNVQs - I'm sure this will not be amusing to some readers but they are known at one local school (NOT a grammar school) as Going Nowhere Very Quickly!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now