Book suggestions please

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
yoyo123

Book suggestions please

Post by yoyo123 »

I have a pupil who really loves the Horrid Henry books, any suggestions for other books he might enjoy?

He's year 5
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi yoyo,

We have moved on from Horrid Henry to Captain Underpants and now Astrosaurus with Tin Tin substituting for the Beano. :lol:

Oh well I suppose it is reading. :roll:

I have the more serious stuff lined up but DS2 won't look at it.

steve
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

my son loved anything with aliens and/or underpants in teh title too!

Grandparents still shocked by "The day my bum went psycho!!"

*sigh* boys.......
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

DS2 loves to read, he also went through HH and Astrosaurs. He's also enjoyed all the new Dr Who books, Star wars, and Artemis Fowl series .
Interestingly, both boys who have differing tastes, avidly read the Enid Blyton book series Mallory Towers and St Clares. I bought both sets from bookpeople, just thinking E.Blyton should be good, not realising they were aimed at girls. When I say avidly, I mean DS1 has re-read them at least 3 times, and DS2(yr6) discovered them this Christmas hols. He read them back to back, taking them to bed, and wanting to stay up late to finish them :shock:

HTH

:D

BW
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Thank you,

I hadn;t heard of astrosaurs or CIA cows in Action, have noted all the suggestions and will pass them on, :D
fillup

Post by fillup »

Dirty Bertie - pants, bum,worms etc etc. Not stretching kind of books but my children think they are brilliant. My 8 yr old who likes being read to but not read despite reading age over 11 yrs LOVES these books...actually I quite enjoyed them too when reading to my youngest. :D
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

There is such a proliferation of this type of book that I am almost depressed by it. :(

Any reading is good reading, but I could only go so far on that. We went through all of the books mentioned above, and although I thought CIA was a funny title, it didn't make me laugh beyond that, and the rest of the books did nothing for me, and I was always screaming by the end of any of them as "bedtime reading". I loathe Horrid Henry, and Captain Underpants is my personal anti-hero ...

I feel that they are great as "voluntary reading", i.e. when the child is reading alone and wants to do it, but parents must move up a notch for bedtime reading.

I refused to read them in the end, and we managed to move on to books that we both enjoyed.

We both had a complete fit of hysterics that lasted for nearly an hour, and ricocheted round the house for months afterwards, over some of Spike Milligan's short stories for children.

S-A
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I couldn't agree more, Sally-Anne!! Ditto to all the above!!
AB

Post by AB »

What's wrong with Captain Underpants? :?

I like the pictures and the flipping pages too. :oops:

Depressed now....
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

any more suggestions for moving him on a bit, somewhere in between animated underwear and tales of evil genius?
:lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now