NFER Verbal Reasoning age 9-10, 10-11

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
11plusmum

NFER Verbal Reasoning age 9-10, 10-11

Post by 11plusmum »

Hi,

Can someone help me? Where can I buy the NFER Verbal Reasoning 8-9 and 9-10 papers? Someone gave me a sample paper for 8-9 and it is very good, but they said they bought it long time ago. My daughter is turing 9 in April, and I think it would be useful to her. I think using 11+ papers will put her off. Do they still sell them? I am not if I can ask this? But has anyoen got them, and willing to sell?? I can't find them in any shop or on the net.

Thanks
Megan
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi,

I am working with my nine year old towards an NFER VR 11+ test. :)

I have used the TUTORS beginners CD and level 1 and 2 epapers from this site alongside a technique book.

The CD is fun computer based, self timing and marking. The epapers introduce pen, paper and answer sheet. Starting at a lower level builds confidence. I still remember three years ago cutting up full papers into manageable chunks for DS1. :)

steve

PS have moved this thread into Verbal Reasoning from English to get a better response. :)
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi 11plusmum and Stevew61

The Beginners CDs and Level 1 and 2 short e-papers available on this site have been written specifically for the early starter students. We, like many parents and tutors, found that the preparation material generally available from authors such as IPS and Susan Daughtery were excellent once the children had mastered the methods & techniques for the range of questions within each question type.

However, we found that the difficulty levels were too high for most students and that most students could not complete full papers within a one hour tutoring session. We particularly liked the IPS formatted questions identifying each question type and providing a set of questions for each type, but there were not enough questions.

We felt that a progressive program of tutoring would be beneficial, particularly for parents who are going through the DIY process. The short e-papers represent what we consider to be a reasonable step-by-step approach. Levels 2 and 3 are typical of the majority of questions and Level 4 contain what we consider to be the highest difficulty level, with a few questions that are above the normal standard.

There are now over 6500 unique questions contained within The Tutors Verbal Reasoning products plus free demo questions for each of the CDs.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
11plusmum

Post by 11plusmum »

Hi Steve 61,

Thanks for this information. I haven't actually used the Tutor's CD yet. I am new to all these. I will get them. Thanks a lot for your help. :lol:
11plusmum

Post by 11plusmum »

Mike,
Thanks a lot. The link you've attached had good information. Thanks again. :) Great to see I am not alone :)

Megan