exam interview and presentation

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
traceywhyte17

exam interview and presentation

Post by traceywhyte17 »

My son is applying for a scholarship to a private school and has been told he will need to do a 5 minute presentation on a subject of his choice in front of the interviewing panel prior to his actual interview. I would welcome any ideas and advice on this as he is getting in a panic about it and has no idea where to start. Thanks.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Does he have a particular interest in anything?
traceywhyte17

Post by traceywhyte17 »

Skateboarding, space and Alex Rider books by Anthony Horowitz are his biggest interests
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Well, I would say that these are all potentially good topics to discuss. I think it needs to be a self-chosen topic but with parental guidance. definitely not on anything like computer games - unless he is into programming.

I would imagine that his passion; the way that he expresses himself duting the presentation, would be more important than anything else. He needs to demonstrate a genuine interest and allow them to see his potential.

He should write notes on little prompt cards to help him during the presentation.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Does it have to be just a spoken presentation or can he do something on PowerPoint and take laptop in with him?
It would perhaps give him some good graphic images to fall back on while looking quite impressive.
traceywhyte17

Post by traceywhyte17 »

They havent said how they want him to do it and they seem to me to be a little vague about exactly what they require which isnt helping our nerves at all! your suggestions are much appreciated.
AB

Post by AB »

5 minutes seem a long time but by the time you introduce your subject and some background info, you are well into your presentation.

Take something special/ precious/interesting and talk about it.
Facial expressions, delivery and clarity of speech all get you marks.

A memorable holiday. Bring blown up photos pasted on cardboard so easy to hold up and rotate. Photos act as prompt cards, so no need for prompt cards. Point out interesting features in photos that relate to the holiday.

Talk about someone who impressed and inspired you..brother, uncle, teacher,scout leader, a brave person..

Skateboarding..take photos as well to demonstrate different moves, styles etc if power point not feasible.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

If you go down the powerpoint route, my concern is that if you get a technical glitch on the day it will be a lot for your son to contend with.
traceywhyte17

Post by traceywhyte17 »

Think you may be right about powerpoint! Keeping it simple seems the best option. We had a lovely holiday to Morocco last May so you have given me a seed of an idea for that as we have lots of photos he could use. I think he might like the skateboarding idea though as he could take his board with him and do a trick to demonstrate. Am glad I found this forum as I feel less stressed already about it!
AB

Post by AB »

Morocco is beautiful and unusual!!

If you have got souvenirs, even better.

I personally like big photos because they are not fiddly like small notecards that you can drop and lose your place and trend of thought.

If possible, attach securely each souvenir to the each photo and as he goes along with his presentation, your son can talk about the photo and the souvenir...eg shell, local fabric print, keychain.. they are extras and you don't necessarily need to use them.

If he's comfortable with doing a trick in his interview clothes, then go for the skateboarding idea. It's a subject he is comfortable with but he has to make it exciting for the panel.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now