Headteacher sitting in on appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

trio

Headteacher sitting in on appeal

Post by trio »

Hi all loads of questions regarding appeals and you all are so helpful one last question is are headteachers allowed to sit in on appeal hearings and if so can they influence the panel members, if the answer is no to the second question then why arethey allowed to even sit in and ask questions i heard the that the herschel headteacher like to sit in on appeal hearings i cannot see the point if he cannot influence the panel members but he is indirectly having an influence by asking certain questions that the panel will be looking at our response.
all the best
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In Bucks appeals, at this stage no school is, at yet, allocated so a HT could not be identified. I have heard of parents bringing current HT with them but this is not encouraged.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Let's try to disentangle this ....

If you are appealing against the decision of a foundation school, then the governors can appoint whoever they like to present their case at appeal - this will often be the headteacher. The head of Herschel could therefore attend the appeal to present the school's case, or to answer questions on behalf of the school.

Over the border, in Bucks, appeals at the moment are against non-qualification. A Local Authority representative presents the case on behalf of the LA. No particular grammar school is being considered at this stage, and no grammar school head will attend.

As Guest55 says, the head of the primary school could attend in support of the parent, but this is actively discouraged in some authorities as a written statement of support can be provided.
Etienne
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Etienne wrote:As Guest55 says, the head of the primary school could attend in support of the parent, but this is actively discouraged in some authorities as a written statement of support can be provided.
Here in Gloucestershire, at the appeals I've heard:

Primary School KS1 admission. The LEA presented the case, but the head came to give evidence regarding the schools capacity and details of problems with the cohort.

Grammar admission. I've never seen the Grammar head teacher at the appeals. He used to come in after we'd made our decisions to say Thank You to us for being on the panel, but now that does not happen.

There was one appeal where the head of a private school came to support the parent. It was a very unusual emotional case, and the evidence the head gave was not in relation to academic ability (that was all written). We often get appeals from that school, in fact even had a couple of other ones in the same round of appeals. The other parents appealing were aware that the head was supporting that one appeal, and knew why, and we've never seen her before or since. We were aware that her attendance did not reflect on her level of support for the other appeals.

To sum up, it's very unusual.
Capers
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Grammar admission. I've never seen the Grammar head teacher at the appeals.
I think Capers is talking about one particular foundation school here.

Nationally it is quite common for the head of the grammar school to be present if oversubscription is an issue, or if it is a foundation school.
Etienne
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Etienne wrote:
Grammar admission. I've never seen the Grammar head teacher at the appeals.
I think Capers is talking about one particular foundation school here.

Nationally it is quite common for the head of the grammar school to be present if oversubscription is an issue, or if it is a foundation school.
Etienne, do you know if this happens in Bucks?
Marylou
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi, Marylou

It's quite common where oversubscription appeals are concerned (especially if there are a number of cases for the same school). Sometimes a deputy head or assistant head might attend instead.

It's impossible at non-qualification appeals, for the reason already given - no specific school in Bucks is being considered.
Etienne
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Etienne wrote:Hi, Marylou

It's quite common where oversubscription appeals are concerned (especially if there are a number of cases for the same school). Sometimes a deputy head or assistant head might attend instead.

It's impossible at non-qualification appeals, for the reason already given - no specific school in Bucks is being considered.
Thanks, Etienne. It's nice to be prepared! The problem with a sibling case is that the staff member will inevitably know the appellant family, especially if the older sibling has been at the school for the last 5 years! I'm sure they would be completely objective and professional about it all, but it could still be a bit awkward, I would imagine. :?
Marylou
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry, Marylou, I wasn't clear enough. I was referring to stage 1 of the appeal when the authority's case is being considered.

In your Local Authority only the LA rep. will attend stage 2 (the parents' case).
Etienne
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Etienne wrote:Sorry, Marylou, I wasn't clear enough. I was referring to stage 1 of the appeal when the authority's case is being considered.

In your Local Authority only the LA rep. will attend stage 2 (the parents' case).
Oh - I understand now - thanks!
Marylou
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now