Yr 9 `Soft' Options

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yves

Yr 9 `Soft' Options

Post by Yves »

What is the received view on GCSE Business Studies and Economics?
I gather that as A levels they are not too highly regarded by top universities, but will it colour a potential candidate's record to do them at GCSE?
The tricky thing is that they are on offer, they sound interesting, but in Yr9, no one's had any lessons in them yet.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Business studies is much 'softer' than Economics - the latter is OK as it containes a lot of Maths.

Yes - I do see a lot of children opting for BS inappropriately - as you say, just because it's new to them.
solimum

Re: Yr 9 `Soft' Options

Post by solimum »

Yves wrote:What is the received view on GCSE Business Studies and Economics?
I gather that as A levels they are not too highly regarded by top universities, but will it colour a potential candidate's record to do them at GCSE?
The tricky thing is that they are on offer, they sound interesting, but in Yr9, no one's had any lessons in them yet.
As part of a balanced mixture of subjects at GCSE it does no harm at all, especially considering how many GCSEs some children take. At my children's school the Bus Studies groups have to form companies and devise & make things to sell at the October open evening - they learn some invaluable lessons in market research, marketing, budgeting, teamwork etc and have great fun, and occasionally even some profits! There is also other useful stuff about how businesses operate etc which is arguably no less useful than many other GCSEs... PLus I recall some interesting coursework on the factors that might influence a hypothetical new business setting up in several local sites (not sure if they learned about the banks refusing to extend credit though..)

Both my sons took this at GCSE (one followed to AS, but found he was repeating a lot of the same material and dropped it - he's now studying engineering at a good university, the other is at Oxford studying Maths)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Check coursework as all GCSEs are changing this component - except Maths which has already changed.

All the above mentioned positives of BS can be done as part of a sixth form 'enterprise' which takes less time and they sell shares in their companies!
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I would agree with Solimum. If they are sitting a large number of exams it doesn't hurt to throw in ones they enjoy. My ds has to sit 12. Once you have done all the obvious sciences, maths and English, history and a couple of languages there will probably only be soft options left!

We let him choose things he would enjoy.

I think I remember reading on the Cambridge admissions website that business studies is acceptable at A level if your school does not offer economics, but I may be remembering wrong!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

BS 'A' level is on the list of not accepted A levels at many top rank Universities.

I, personally, see no value in GCSE BS and, often pupils choose it for the wrong reasons. This means even if your child opts for it for the 'right reasons' the rest of the class may not have ...
stevew61

Re: Yr 9 `Soft' Options

Post by stevew61 »

Yves wrote:What is the received view on GCSE Business Studies and Economics?
IIRC Economics has the lowest GCSE A/A* rate! Might mean it is hard, badly taught or attracts weak candidates. :)

My personal experience of GCSE Economics and some double entry bookkeeping accountancy was very positive and the most useful in later real business life.

DS1, year eight has eight compulsory GCSEs and three to choose, Economics and BS (unfortunate acronym) are definitely in the running. :)

Somebody said, Geography is not a real subject it was just something invented to make PE teachers look academic. :lol:

Geography is on our shortlist too.

Strange that most parents encourage serious sport but PE GCSE is regarded as soft?

steve
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

PE GCSE is not soft - you have to know a lot of theory! You learn all about the way different joints work, keeping healthy - lots of Science in it.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Guest55 wrote:PE GCSE is not soft - you have to know a lot of theory! You learn all about the way different joints work, keeping healthy - lots of Science in it.
Strange that most parents encourage serious sport but PE GCSE is regarded as soft?
I agree with you G55 :)

Looking at the required skill levels graded in many different sports I think GCSE PE - including physiology and healthy living/eating - is a very positive option. 8)

steve
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes I thought we agreed! :lol:

PE is a much better option than BS ... I have had to take more pupils to task over BS than any other option ...