who is the ombudsman and how are they contacted?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bougalou

who is the ombudsman and how are they contacted?

Post by Bougalou »

I can find no links on the internet to the ombudsman but plenty to the office of the school's adjudicator. Naiively I thought they were one and the same. - Not saying that I will need either, but could do with some clarification of the differences between the two and their job roles.
Thank you
Bougalou
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Local government obudsman for LEA-conducted appeals:

http://www.lgo.org.uk/

I don't know where you go next if the school conducted its own appeal.

Mike
WP

Re: who is the ombudsman and how are they contacted?

Post by WP »

Bougalou wrote:I can find no links on the internet to the ombudsman but plenty to the office of the school's adjudicator. Naiively I thought they were one and the same. - Not saying that I will need either, but could do with some clarification of the differences between the two and their job roles.
The adjudicator hears objections to admissions rules before the rules are used. If you think the rules were improperly applied in your case, you can appeal, which goes to an appeals panel. If you think the appeal was conducted improperly (not just that didn't go your way), you can take it to the ombudsman.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

See the Q&As section D.

The ombudsman deals with foundation schools as well.
Etienne
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

thanks all, where can I find admissions rules?
Bougalou
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Bouga

Your Local Authority consults on the admission rules (oversubscription criteria) for all schools in its area each year. When approved these are published by the LA in a booklet called, for example, "Transfer to Secondary School".
Etienne
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

thanks
capers123

Re: who is the ombudsman and how are they contacted?

Post by capers123 »

WP wrote: If you think the appeal was conducted improperly (not just that didn't go your way), you can take it to the ombudsman.
The following is not reflecting on Bouga's case.

Last year, two of our failed appeals were taken by the parents to the Ombudsman. In both cases, our clerk got a grilling (in the school holidays!), but as everything had been correctly carried out in the appeal, both were rejected by the Ombudsman. From what I heard, the parental case was "They turned our appeal down. We'll go over their heads to the Top Person, shout a bit, and get their decision overturned".

There are a few appeals that are not carried out correctly, and that is what the Ombudsman is for. But as WP says, it's not just that the panel found against you - something must have been done wrong. Such as a the school side being seen to slip the panel members a bundle of bank notes, the chair of the panel being a governor of the school in charge of admissions. That kind of thing.

Most of us do our absolute best to be fair to all involved (including the oft-forgotten children who passed with a high enough mark and will be joining the school in September). So please, people, only take it to the Ombudsman in case of a genuine problem.

The panels decision is final!
Capers
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I do agree with Capers that too often parents are going to the ombudsman for the wrong reasons. As is made very clear in section D of the Q&As, the ombudsman will only consider complaints where there has been a significant procedural fault that resulted in an injustice.

To return to Bouga's case, this was a non-statutory review, so I suspect the ombudsman would not get involved at this stage.
Etienne
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

But what if the letter of rejection didn't make any reference to lack of academic achievement but to "insufficient evidence" given? The panel made it clear during the review that the Head Teacher had not provided some evidence that they needed - ranking against other candidates, specific reading age etc. This was not requested from the Head Teacher in writing ( as we have a copy of the letter from the LEA to her) nor is it a requirement of the Head Teacher's report. The HT followed the letter of instructions given regarding what was supplied, and supplied that.
Our point is, if the panel required more evidence then:
a) what was that?
b) why were we not told what criteria they were using?
c) Why was the HT not asked for this evidence specifically?
We know that ranking and reading age details were given in another review by a HT from a different school ( have seen the evidence - a relative's paperwork) and that candidate was successful.
Just feel that the whole process is not tight enough and allows HTs in the know to provide additional material, which clearly disadvantages some reviews.
I know it might seem like sour grapes but our objective is not to get our DD a place at any cost, just to make sure that the system is working properly for other families.
What do you think????
bougalou
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now