Can anyone apply for 12+ entry?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Just for the record, wherever you are, a 12+ application must be considered.

The current Code says:
Appeals following casual applications for grammar schools
3.38 Admission authorities for grammar schools are bound by the same duty as those for other maintained schools. This means that they must consider applications made at any time and if they refuse to admit the child, must offer the parent a right of appeal. See paragraph 4.1 for further appeals within the same academic year.
3.39 Some grammar schools do not offer a facility for testing applicants for admission outside the normal admissions round. In this situation, if the admission authority is not willing to accept that a casual applicant is of the required academic ability for admission, it should make arrangements for an appropriate assessment of the child’s ability to be made if their parents lodge an appeal e.g. by obtaining information from the current or previous school. Otherwise, the panel must work on the assumption that the child is of the required academic standard, and follow the two-stage process described in paragraphs 3.1 to 3.7.
See also this thread from last year (Dorset - where even the grammar school concerned didn't understand the rules!).
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... sc&start=0
Etienne
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Hi,
In our area (Slough) you are not considered for entry at any other time (except 6th form) if you have previously sat and not acheived the required result in the consortium 11+ test, so we wouldn't be allowed to sit a 12+ exam (shame!)

LFH
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If you are not considered for entry at any other time, then this is illegal.
Etienne
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I am really sorry for hijacking the original thread, but I am really confused.
The grammar school we have applied to states clearly in its admissions policy that we cannot apply for entry to other school years if we have already sat the 11+ test.
Etienne does what you are saying apply to a voluntary aided school too, or as they are their own admissions authority they can say what they like?

Thank you

LFH
chad

Post by chad »

The Slough consortium (Langley, Herschel, St Bernards) admission procedures state-

• Pupils applying for ‘in year’ entry between Year 7 and Year 11 to the Consortium
of grammar schools, will be subject to tests set by the individual grammar school and
they must not have sat the Consortium 11+ tests.

Slough Grammar allows 'in year' entry even if 11plus has been sat....and I believe applies tests in Maths/English and Science, (would have to clarify this)

I believe that some children mature later and so would benefit from this.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The Code of Practice applies to VA schools as well.

I've already quoted the current Code.

The new Code, shortly to take effect, says the same, although the paragraph number is different:
3.39 Admission authorities for grammar schools are bound by the same duty as those for other maintained schools. This means that they must consider applications made at any time and if they refuse to admit the child, must explain to parents their right of appeal. See paragraph 4.1 regarding further appeals within the same academic year.
3.40 Some grammar schools do not offer a facility for testing applicants for admission outside the normal admissions round. In this situation, if the admission authority is not willing to accept that a casual applicant is of the required academic ability for admission, it should make arrangements for an appropriate assessment of the child’s ability to be made if an appeal is lodged e.g. by obtaining information from the current or previous school. Otherwise, the panel must work on the assumption that the child is of the required academic standard, and follow the two-stage process described in paragraphs 3.1 to 3.7.
In other words, they are required to consider your application.
(a) They can either assess your child's ability by means of a 12+ test or a reference from the current school,
or (b) they could simply accept that your child is of the required academic standard.

If you are successful at (a) or (b), they can still refuse you a place if the school is full - but you then have the right to an appeal.

What I'm saying is that you have the right to apply for a place in any year, and it would be illegal for them to refuse to consider your application.
Etienne
chad

Post by chad »

Are they taking the stance that as the child has already sat the 11+ and not reached the required standard then they are not required to let them apply again (as they have already proved they are not of the standard)?

Could this be seen as still following the code?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I don't believe so, Chad.
they must consider applications made at any time
(although not within the same academic year)

There is no discretion:
Where mandatory requirements are imposed by this Code or by statutory provisions it is stated that relevant bodies ‘must’ comply with the particular requirement or provision.
Etienne
chad

Post by chad »

Do you think this is worth me asking the Slough LEA for clarification... now I have the relevant email address from my last foray? :D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It would be interesting to hear what they have to say, Chad. If they have actually checked with the DCSF that the policy complies with the current Appeals Code [3.38], I shall beat a hasty retreat ........

I can understand the argument - it's just that I don't see any exceptions in the Code.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now