To Tutor or not to tutor?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Haze

To Tutor or not to tutor?

Post by Haze »

Hi everyone. I'm quite new to these boards so forgive me if this subject has been discussed to death!

My eldest son is quite bright so we're looking at 2010 entry. A lot of his peers are already into tutoring and other mums keenly discuss how pleased they were that they secured particular tutors, etc.

So I got some Bond papers and, more recently the Nfer past papers.

B is currently getting 90%+ on his age-related Bond VR papers so, other than parctising more papers, what more can a tutor give him? What advantage will tutored kids have over him (not tutored) in the exam? Am I holding him back; deminishing his chanced if I don't find a tutor? Please tell me what I'm missing!
:?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Haze

There is absolutely nothing wrong with DIY. I tutor for Bucks but help parents on this forum teach their own children.

My only concern would be, are you teaching the correct material. eg. If your area covers the NFER 21 types for VR, then Bond are of no use, they cover 50 types and 4 are missing.

Which disciplines are used for your area?

Patricia
Haze

Post by Haze »

I'm not entirely sure. Anyone else in Calderdale know that for sure?
I know it's Nfer multiple choice.

If we carry on with Bond, and supplement with the missing four somehow, would he not be overqualified?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Haze

If its NFER VR 21 types multiple choice, take a look at the following thread. Off the top of my head I cant remember which 4 are missing from Bond, will check later for you.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=4782

Patricia
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Haze
Haze wrote:I know it's Nfer multiple choice.

If we carry on with Bond, and supplement with the missing four somehow, would he not be overqualified?
Yes, but he will also have done a great deal of unnecessary work! As boys and extra work don't usually go together, you might want to get the correct materials.

Sally-Anne
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi Haze,

It is Nfer 21 types Multiple choice. I followed Patricia's thread last year which is perfect for Calderdale.

Thank you Patricia :D
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

As Mitasol says, all the advice posted by Patricia on the Bucks forum will be relevant for you Haze.

Sally-Anne
Haze

Post by Haze »

I'll have a good look round there. Thanks.
I would rather he was over-prepared and relaxed though, than just ready and struggling.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Haze wrote: I would rather he was over-prepared and relaxed though, than just ready and struggling.
Dear Haze

Not sure I understand.

If you keep to publishers using the 21 types, as per the link in my post above, your child will be very prepared.

There is no need to teach your child 33 irrelevant types of questions. [50 types minus the 17 that are relevant] You could use the time more productively by letting him read out loud to you, playing scrabble or playing any other game that wll help increase vocabulary.

In addition Bond is in standard form, tests in multiple choice format are worked out in a different way. Look at IPS or the Tutors method and techniques for explanations.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... %3D8%23b85

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/pdf/th ... hnique.pdf

Good Luck

Patricia
Haze

Post by Haze »

Now I have looked at the differences in the questions I can see what you mean, but do you really think there is no benefit from doing the other types of questions as well? Surely the practice is not wasted time at this stage (10 months to go) then we can concentrate on actual paper familiarisation nearer the time?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now