Buckinghamshire 13+ Late Transfer

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sisayo

Buckinghamshire 13+ Late Transfer

Post by sisayo »

My son sat and passed the Buckinghamshire 13+ Late Transfers but the council said there are no spaces in year nine in any of the Grammar Schools. My son is currently at home at the moment and I don’t know what to do? Has anyone gone through this before or could someone advise me on what to do.
All Too Much

Post by All Too Much »

Are you sure there are no spaces in Burnham Grammar, or did you not list it on your choice of schools? They only look at the choices you send them.

I would give BGS a call tomorrow morning and check with them direct. If they have a space, then speak to the LA.

If you live in South Bucks they will provide transport to BGS for your child, but I am not sure what the policy is if you live in the north of the county.

Good luck! Anything else you want to know about BGS; I have a son there (and another son at another grammar and a daughter at yet another grammar!) - so know the plusses of BGS.
All Too Much
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You can appeal! Which schools did you name?
sisayo

Post by sisayo »

Thanks a lot for your reply - All Too Much. I will call Burnham School tomorrow. We do not really mind which Grammar he goes. I called the LA after posting on the forum and they said there are no spaces for year 9 in the whole borough,could that be right?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It could be correct but that does not stop an appeal ... Ask for a place at the one you are in catchment for or are close to -
sisayo

Post by sisayo »

Guest55
Thanks a lot for your reply. Sir Henry Floyds was our first choice but we do not mind any grammar.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Burnham would be a travelling nightmare if you live near Aylesbury!! You could appeal or go on the waiting list - a place may come up.

Have you actually rung the schools? Admissions is not always completely up-to-date with pupil numbers,
sisayo

Post by sisayo »

thanks again for d reply, being entirely new to this process, i would be greatful for any advice on going about making an appeal i.e grounds etc
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Sisayo

First question - when did your son pass the 13+? The test result is only valid for 12 months, so that is important information.

Secondly, where - roughly - do you live? Are you in Bucks or Out-of-County?

Thirdly, have Bucks given you the option of going on to waiting lists for any schools? If so, which ones have you signed up for?

I think that you are up against the problem that schools in the northern part of the County are fuller than they were a few years ago, whilst the southern half is less heavily subscribed.

As G55 says, ringing the schools you prefer would be the most direct option, as they will have the latest information. However, do keep posting here, and we will try to help.

Sally-Anne
sisayo

Post by sisayo »

Hi Sally-Anne,

The result came through today and we live in Fairford Leys Aylesbury. Yes we were given the option to go on the waiting list but do not really know which ones to put on the list.

Is there a way of checking how long the waiting lists are for each grammar to help us picking our choices as he is not in any school at the moment.

Thanks.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now