How is the exam written?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DK

How is the exam written?

Post by DK »

My Daughter is sitting exam at Colchester County Girls. The letter has asked to bring Pen, Pencil and other material. How is the exam written? with pen or pencil?

- Dayanand

Re: How is the exam written?

Post by Guest »

DK wrote:My Daughter is sitting exam at Colchester County Girls. The letter has asked to bring Pen, Pencil and other material. How is the exam written? with pen or pencil?

- Dayanand

My daughter sat it at CCHS last year and as far as I remember it was in pencil. They are not allowed to take an eraser into the VR.
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

Yes we have had the same information, pen, pencil, ruler and rubber etc but i was wondering why a pen if they complete test in pencil, maybe its for filling in the front of the test paper with their details (or is that already done for them??)

Joanne :?
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

Yes we have had the same information, pen, pencil, ruler and rubber etc but i was wondering why a pen if they complete test in pencil, maybe its for filling in the front of the test paper with their details (or is that already done for them??)

Karen

Post by Karen »

Joanne wrote:Yes we have had the same information, pen, pencil, ruler and rubber etc but i was wondering why a pen if they complete test in pencil, maybe its for filling in the front of the test paper with their details (or is that already done for them??)

Perhaps they state pen and pencil in case the child prefers one or the other. After all, it is not an offence to cross out a mistake and write another answer, as long as the answer intended is made clear. That would happen on the VR paper anyway, due to erasers not being allowed. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

You are correct Karen, we have been told that no erasers to be used in the VR test, my daughters a bit peeved with that!
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

You are correct Karen, we have been told that no erasers to be used in the VR test, my daughters a bit peeved with that!
Karen

Post by Karen »

Hi Joanne

I have just called the CSSE to ask about this. Apparently, the markers find it difficult to mark because some children do not erase the answer properly and if they find it difficult to read the child will lose the whole mark for that question. Also, it takes longer to use an eraser than to cross out the answer and write above/alongside. When you have 90 questions in 45 minutes, every second counts!
On the Maths and English papers they are not so concerned as it is easier for them to see what it is the children are trying to say.

Best wishes :)
Karen

Post by Guest »

Karen, Thanks for that i shall let my daughter know why she can't use an eraser in VR, but that she will be able to cross through any wrong answers, she will feel happier knowing that. Best wishes for saturday

Joanne :)
Karen

Post by Karen »

You're welcome, Joanne

All the best for your daughter on Saturday, too.

K.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now