Out of catchment area...and Couty!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Shelly8

Out of catchment area...and County!

Post by Shelly8 »

Hi,

We would like our DD to go to a Bucks GS, but we live in Herts. at the moment. What are the chances of her being offered a place?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

S
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

As you know places are allocated on distance - so you have fewer choices. Historically Burnham GS, Chesham High and The Floyd have offered places to all applicants ... what year is your DD in?
Shelly8

Post by Shelly8 »

Thanks for the reply. She is in year 5 and will be sitting the 11+ this year.
We were hoping to get her into Chesham High School.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In March check what the allocations look like this year to see if trends continue.
esmerelda

Post by esmerelda »

We live out of county (in Herts) and were offered a place at CHS. When my child joined there were plenty of empty spaces in the class. Everyear there seems to be some children from Herts in Year 7. We are about 7 miles away, how far are you?
Shelly8

Post by Shelly8 »

Thanks for the reply, esmeralda.
We are in Berkhamsted, approx 6.5 miles away.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi shelly8

You should have no difficulty at all in getting a place at CHS.

They have had vacant places in Year 7 for the last few years, despite offering as far as Harrow. CHS is a "victim" of being on the very edge of the County, and also sharing catchment with two very popular single gender schools.

Obviously there is the usual "caveat" - past performance should not be used as a guide to future performance, etc.

However, you have no reason to worry about getting a place from Berkhamsted that I can think of.

Sally-Anne
esmerelda

Post by esmerelda »

Shelly8,
you will not be alone if you are from Berkhampsted. A number of people from there go to CHS, some in year 9 after they have finished middle school. The school has a newish Head who is very keen that the school becomes to be seen as a co-ed alternative to Challoners rather than the place where people go if they did not get into Challoners. (if that makes sense) The only disadvantage I have found to being OOC is that his school friends are spread far and wide. This means that alot of his social life involves him being driven around Bucks as they tend to go to the cinema in Wycombe etc. Re spaces in year7, in September enough new year 8s arrived that a new class was formed.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Sally-Anne may correct me on this, but my understanding is that the single-sex GS in Bucks aren’t allowed to set their own pass mark any more, as they used to be, over and above the 121 standard.

Consequently it will be interesting to see whether this shift has an effect on GCSE results when it filters through.

Sally-Anne, it’s a shame they didn’t offer DD one of those ‘vacant places’, she fell in love with CHS when we looked round…
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Rob

I am slightly perplexed by your post? CHS has had quite large numbers of vacant places in Year 7 for some years now.

No, the pass mark is no longer relevant for allocations for any school. That system was also abolished around 5 years ago. Personally I don't think it will have a huge effect on GCSE results, because a high mark in a VR test at 11 years old is not going to guarantee anything. It is the teaching in between that is going to make by far the greatest difference.

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now